Speaker 1: This is off track. All right, ladies
Speaker 2: And gentlemen, welcome to a live show of Off Track with Hench and Rossi. Boo Rossi looks a little different.
Speaker 3: Hi, . He Speaker 1: Sounds a little different too. Well,
Speaker 2: No, he sounds like he did in 2016 when he first came back. I True.
Speaker 3: I'll feign disinterest. . Oh,
Speaker 1: Alex Rossie.
Speaker 3: Oh, don't lock it in America. It's
Speaker 1: Indie Coles.
Speaker 3: Weird. Speaker 2: I think you're hitting that TV with your
Speaker 1: Chair. I think you set the TV up, bro.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. I didn't set any of
Speaker 1: Those up. Brand. You can charge him for the TV set. Get all four done while you're at it. You can't have a mismatch one,
right. Speaker 3: ,
Speaker 1: You're rich. It's fine. Um, hi guys. Welcome. Thank you so much for coming out. Welcome to, uh, our somewhat traditional Monday post practice. Sure. Off track show. Uh, up here in the lovely front stretch suite compliments of, uh, Brent Cox here. Big round of applause for that guy and everyone involved. This wouldn't happen without him. Hey man, how are you? Um, we got a guest.
Speaker 3: Hey. Hey buddy. Speaker 1: Hi. It's so funny 'cause I, you and I have been in this position for about a hundred hours over the last week. Oh. So like, I, I almost didn't even notice you there 'cause you're just always there. And I'm part of the furniture now, right? Yeah,
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. You're just like an extension of my arm.
Speaker 3: I know, man. Well, I'm supposed to be Doug Bowles, but Yeah. , he's had a busy 24 hours.
Speaker 2: Why? What happened? Speaker 1: I'm not sure if you
Speaker 3: Heard Well within the last hour, uh, kicked out another one or where
Speaker 1: Oh, did they? Nah
Speaker 3: Man. I mean maybe, who knows?
Speaker 1: Seem to be making it up as they go. So why not? Apparently. Um,
Speaker 3: That's a direct quote.
Speaker 1: Originally, yes, we did have, uh, Mr. Bowles had very generously agreed to come be part of this. I do wanna talk about that. Okay. I do wanna talk about the fact, can you slide up a little bit? It's weird that you're like sitting behind me. Um, what is that
Speaker 3: In your hand? Is that like
Speaker 2: Medicine? This is, I gonna, I was gonna talk about this in a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh, alright. Sorry. I've rolled,
Speaker 1: I already surprised. Don't like where this is going. . So, um, Doug Bowles, maybe you've heard of him. Uh, president of this beautiful facility has been for some time round of applause. Blue
Speaker 2: Suit Enthusiast. Yes.
Speaker 1: Blue suit enthusiast. He has been just a tremendous, you know, asset and, and, and, uh, promoter of this event and, and incredible in every way. Doug
Speaker 3: Bowes is my president.
Speaker 1: He's absolutely, and Speaker 2: My poe too, if we're being, And then he gets, you know, thrust into this new position this year and he's now also the president of the series. Extra Responsibilities, all that stuff, as if May wasn't already his busiest month, just as the track president. Now you've got the fact that he's the series president and with all of that, he's still, he still agreed to carve some time out of his day to come sit with this degenerate and, and us and you lovely people here in the suite, which I think is incredible. Uh, so a round of applause for Doug, just for even having, making the effort to, to find the time to come here. And, you know,
Speaker 3: You know what he told us earlier in the week, he said the worst thing about being president of IndyCar is he doesn't have enough time to go out and actually stand with the fans.
Speaker 1: Indeed fans. A hundred percent. He did say that.
Speaker 3: I love that man. Like, Speaker 1: And so his office is on the same floor as our TV booth, so we kind of pass him a few times a day, usually Not today. And
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been busy . It's been a busy week and a very busy day. And so I messaged Tim and was like, maybe he's got more important things to do. So he did not cancel. We got in touch with him and said, Hey man, your time is probably better spent elsewhere right now. Yeah. So why don't you just take a pass on this one and we'll move along that way we can also talk openly about what hat? No, I'm just kidding. . I'm just kidding. Kind
Speaker 3: Of. Doug's gone to IMS museum to check over the, uh, race cards. Got him from last year
Speaker 1: To put some covers on race cards. Did you see,
Speaker 3: Did you see Nathan Brown? Oh, we s seen. Yeah. Oh
Speaker 1: Yeah, we knew. We knew a before He did too. Come on the media. Now
Speaker 2: I got a media hard card over there. So, I mean,
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean a thing, man. They give those
Speaker 1: Like guys Speaker 2: What I know. Does that make you feel less like important? They Accredited you Media. Media. Yeah. Wait, based off of this? Yeah,
Speaker 2: Based off of this.
Speaker 1: This is considered media. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Um, okay. I have, I have so Speaker 1: Terrifying. Uh, he pointed it out. I have something in my lap here. Ew, bro.
Speaker 1: Two Speaker 2: M tm. A fan, a fan of the podcast. Edwin from from Scotland brought us Yes. Uh, brought me this, uh, it's called Tonic Wine. And maybe, maybe, I mean, I like both of those things.
Speaker 3: Oh my God, it's buck fast. . Speaker 1: Oh, sorry. This is a family show. Please watch your language, sir. So You guys have no Speaker 1: Idea.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what this is, but just reading, it's tonic wine. Wow. And it, and it's, it has caffeine.
Speaker 3: That's like hill juice. Speaker 2: It high caffeine content,
Speaker 1: Like caffeine content. And that just guys,
Speaker 3: This is like, this is like Scottish moonshine.
Speaker 2: So, so she made it clear and we made it clear that, uh, that this is, uh, like a lot of, a lot of, uh, Scottish people's like first foray into drinking. It's basic. It's dirt cheap.
Speaker 3: It's, it's basically what homeless people drink. Okay. To, to, to stave off the sadness.
Speaker 2: Okay. Speaker 1: I only know about that. They don't have that in Canada. I know about that. Yeah. Not at all. Uh, mechanic of mine. But this is, I have a few points on this. This is funny. Um, this is what you say, what Scottish people get. This is their first foray into drinking. Yeah. I feel like in, at least in North America, you tend to like, start with the sweet stuff that doesn't even taste like alcohol. I You start with whatever your parents have in the,
Speaker 3: In Scotland, this is like one step beneath the class A drug. Like it's
Speaker 2: Strong.
Speaker 1: My favorite part is it says Speaker 3: and cheap. Yeah. Red wine based, a pair of teeth, high caffeine, a pair of teeth, high caffeine content, not recommended for children or pregnant or breastfeeding women under the caffeine part. They're ignoring the 15% alcohol part. And just saying there's a lot of caffeine here. Don't give it to your kids. Yeah, yeah, yeah. The poz is fine.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Scotland. . Speaker 1: Buckfast also does sound like a swear word. Are we supposed to be trying this? Is that what we're doing here? Yeah, We're go drink the Speaker 2: Buck fast. Yeah, I figured, you know, I saved it for you. Thank you Edwin, for bringing that forth.
Us Speaker 1: . Well, hang on, we'll see if we're gonna be thanking her or not. So
Speaker 3: You've had this Can I be will buck fast?
Speaker 1: Not on Sunday, bro. That's an FCC. Fine. It's
Speaker 3: Monday.
Speaker 4: Yes. Let's take a swing.
Speaker 1: Calm down. . It's like, no, hang on.
Speaker 4: It's definitely Speaker 1: Not,
Speaker 2: It's not gonna be the worst thing that's happened to your stomach.
Speaker 1: It's definitely better than mall. Lord. I can already tell .
Speaker 3: Come on, let's try some.
Speaker 1: That's not that bad, actually. That's pretty good. Solid
Speaker 4: Wig.
Speaker 2: I don't hate it. . Speaker 1: Tim, you've never met an alcohol. You hated . Um, okay. Uh, thank you very much. That was delicious. I'm actually gonna have more of that, uh, at some point. What's that?
Speaker 3: I never realized it was from Buckfast. It's not actually a Scottish drink. It's from Devon, which is literally the completely opposite end of the country. I had no idea.
Speaker 1: So you guys just send Speaker 2: Up the Scotland to mess with them.
Speaker 3: Is this like, is this like what you have when you go up and you have the sacrament in church?
Basically Speaker 1: .
Speaker 3: It's made by the Benedictine monks. There's
Speaker 4: Probably somewhere that Speaker 3: Does that. Good
Speaker 1: Lord. Hold on. I'm asking Dario if he's ever had it not
Speaker 3: Recommended to children. I
Speaker 4: Mentioned I brought that he had a thousand yards there.
Speaker 1: Come again. Speaker 4: I mentioned to Dario, I brought bottles and he had a thousand yards There again, . So just like after every other question that he gets asked these days,
Speaker 3: Um, I'm terrible with accents by the way. I had a, a great friend who was a, a fellow journalist in Formula One and I knew him for about a year and I said to him, so I was like, oh, Gary's coming out for for a drink tonight. You're gonna love him. And everyone's like, oh cool. You know, where's he from? And I'm like, Belfast. I think like he's Irish gets into dinner and he starts chatting everyone's, oh, so where are you from? He's like, Glasgow .
Speaker 1: That's hurtful, isn't it? Absolutely. Sorry. I was really hoping
Speaker 2: He was like Des Moines Speaker 1: Will Ton's our guest today. Um, welcome already
Speaker 3: Cocktail Speaker 1: Now that we've already torn the off. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Welcome back to the show. Uh, last time you had, you were on the show, what you were, we had Townsend on at the same time, right? Yeah. But from our, uh, hotel rooms. We were all, uh, in hotel rooms here in Indianapolis
Speaker 1: Actually. And there was a technical difficulty and you guys couldn't hear each other or Yeah, it was brilliant. It was, it was a mess. You just called your first Indy 500 qualifying Yeah. On network television in the United States. Yes. Pretty big deal. Pretty huge deal.
Speaker 3: Pretty big deal Speaker 1: Guys. Yeah. Round of applause. Yeah. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I promise we won't tell him, but how do you guys think he did by round of applause? Room for improvement. . That's how I judge you. I thought you did great. They were being very
Speaker 3: Harsh. I get it. I'm not diffy, you know, like,
Speaker 1: How was it mate? How was it for you?
Speaker 3: I'm exhausted. Well,
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's from that eight days prior of being on 14 hour
Speaker 3: Today. 40 hours. We've done 40 hours of broadcasting over the last seven days. And uh, that's a lot of time with Townsend and James. I can tell you. Um, no, most would
Speaker 1: Say too much. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What a what what an absolute thrill. But it's, it is just the whole buildup into Fast Friday and then the two days of qualifying, which I think is the most accelerating two days in all of sport. I don't think there's, there's anything like it. The Jeopardy, you know, the gambling of Do you, do you withdraw your time? Do you go again? The heartache of last chance Qualifying the thrill of, of the run for Paul. Like
Speaker 1: No Reus, you don't withdraw your time and go again. What was, what was that all, what was that
Speaker 3: About Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 2: Okay, but so coming from F1 where you, you wouldn't have, were you in
Speaker 1: F1?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I might have mentioned it. Okay. Like once or
Speaker 2: Twice. But I mean, so you wouldn't have, we wouldn't have something like Indianapolis where it's a multi-week event, but you would have just insane travel around the globe. Yes. So how does it compare? Well,
Speaker 3: It's funny 'cause people say, oh, so have you moved to the
States? Speaker 2: ? No. You're still coming in for
Speaker 3: Main every week. I say no. And they went, well you're commuting to the races. And I'm like, yes. Number one, there's three weeks between ev every race at the start of the season. Yeah. And the first three races were in Florida and two were in California. And I'm used to, at this time of year, flying to Australia for three days and then flying home and then going to Japan for three days and then flying home. So frankly, like, you know, jump on the good ship Virgin Atlantic. Yeah. To LAX and fly home again. Yes, please. Like that's
easy. Speaker 1: . Its, that's easy. Hilarious to me that commuting to even the Western United States from England is piece of piss improvement on your previous travel schedule.
Speaker 3: Hey, piece of piss. It's, it's so easy. That's
Speaker 1: Incredible. It's terrifying. We're
Speaker 2: Just glossing over piece of piss. That's a phrase. That's like a, you guys thought that that was weird? That was a Yeah. I'm gonna use it.
Speaker 1: No, it's great. Again, I English background. I knew that one. You didn't know that
Speaker 2: One Well, no, obviously not. I'm from four miles away. Joan, you gotta,
Speaker 1: Joan, you gotta teach your son more, uh, more swear words.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's not listening more. My mom's not listening to any of this.
Speaker 1: You know what guys? Run applause for Tim's mom right here. .
Speaker 2: Oh, she was reading about the Penske cards. Why? What happened? What's the latest? Yeah, .
Speaker 1: Oh, okay. Well, we'll we'll come back for a check in in a minute. . Yeah. Yeah. Well you finish the article and let us know. And
Speaker 2: Mom, are you available Sunday? They need somebody in the booth. They need
Speaker 3: Easy. I'm not doing that bad .
Speaker 1: Um, well so you got through, you got through your first poll day. What was the single coolest moment for you? I mean, obviously we had Schwar Schwarzman hell of a story in that. And you know him, right? Yeah. You kinda, he kind of grew up racing in your world. Yeah, I
Speaker 3: I know him really, really well. And actually at the start of the season, we were, we were joking around and you know, primer have been struggling and it's not been easy for them. And I said to James, and literally I was joking and I said, and I said, don't worry, it'll be on pole at the 500.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, hold Speaker 2: On. You also called that he would be driving for Prema. Yeah,
Speaker 3: I did a year ago. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Let's, let's, so Speaker 2: Who's winning? Let's ba hold on, let's back up a step here.
Speaker 2: I I'm opening my FanDuel app and I would like him to tell me who's winning. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: No . Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Speaker 3: No idea.
Speaker 2: Damnit, come on man. Why we heavy?
Speaker 1: That wasn't very helpful. Um, no, but like , we, when it was announced, I remember you saying like, oh man, just you wait, you guys don't even know the level that these guys operate at. They went everything in Europe, they're so good. Or this, that, the other. I'm like, yeah dude, I don't think you know how hard IndyCar is and
Speaker 3: I don't think they did. Well
Speaker 1: Given the first five races, I think you're right. But then all of a sudden they show up here and put an absolute spanking on the field at Indianapolis. That's a hell of a comeback. Yeah,
Speaker 3: It is. And what you guys have imp empowered to me over the week is that lots a lot. Quite huge. Quite a bit. Yeah. Like literally 39 hours and 55 minutes of the 40 hours with James and Townsend. Um, the, you, you can be a phenomenal driver, right? You can be a Robert Schwartzman, you can be utterly fearless, you can keep your foot planted and you can be smart enough to be able to feel the car and slide it and get a 2 33 every lap out of it. Which even Scott Dixon and Alex Palolo weren't able to do. Um, but you need a rocket ship under you. And unless you have a well-engineered car, you are fighting in last chance qualifying. You're not fighting for pole. And we got here this week, everybody just assumed one of the premise is going home. Like that was just, it wasn't even a question. One of the premise is going home and one of them's on pole. Like that's the job they've done. It's astonishing when
Speaker 1: You, like, when you actually say it. 'cause you're right. I mean I was, and I was there, I was one of the biggest people like, yeah, it's gonna be between Call and and Schwartzman who's going home.
Speaker 3: And then Friday night we're driving home and you're like, so fast. 12 tomorrow, who's in it? And I'm like, Schwarzman. And you're like, yeah, but seriously. And I'm like, yeah,
Speaker 1: Cool story bro. But like actually though. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And, but, and then there he is, like he's, he's a phenomenal talent and and he tested for Nessi, what was it, a year and a half, two years ago. And Mike Hull was like, we want to sign Robert Schwarzman right now. And Robert was like, I've still got a chance in Formula One to drive for Ferrari. 'cause he was a reserve driver at Ferrari for three years. You don't walk away from Ferrari like it's
Speaker 2: Ferrari. No, you have to remove that from your Instagram bio. Yeah, exactly. If you're no longer a reserve
Speaker 3: Driver and, and who knows how to do that
Speaker 1: Anymore, that, that kills trying to get a date. If you no longer have that in your bio
Speaker 2: Mine, so much harder. Mine says I'm, I'm still an Alpine Reserve driver
Speaker 1: To buy.
Speaker 3: I mean you might, you might be
Speaker 2: Many. I think I might be would
Speaker 3: Surprise me. Yeah. Um, but yeah, and, and, and then he got the opportunity to come over with Prema and, and be a sender part of a list. It's, it's
Speaker 1: Incredible. And I'm really glad that he is here genuinely. Because you mentioned that test. I'm glad you did because over the last, I don't know, five, I mean you could probably go eight years, there've been a lot of drivers that have come over and tested for various teams at various times from various other series. And the problem with testing is if you only read the press releases, I think we've joked about this on the show before,
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah. It's, it's the, the copy
Speaker 1: And paste press release. I can write you the pre you wanna go test in any car tomorrow? I can write the press release. You're gonna be terrible sir. With all due respect, you're gonna be all I can write the pressure.
Speaker 2: Sorry. Do you not recognize Mario Andretti right there.
Speaker 1: Great feedback. Really got up to speed. Well, you know, came well prepared, was great with the team, blah, blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: In other words, gave us $400,000. Correct. And we was very grateful for it.
Speaker 1: It could be that or it could be what I like. It could anywhere in the realm of that is possible. But they always just say the same thing. It's,
Speaker 2: I will write you a much nicer press release for way less money. You won't get to drive it like you need to take my Bronco out. But like, it will be a much better press release.
Speaker 1: It's not until you, you talk to some of the people in the paddock in the industry and these teams that you kind of get the insider info on some of these tests. And there have been drivers that are well, well rated drivers from other series and other championships. I'm not gonna mention names that came and tested IndyCar and the press release went out and you would've thought they were great. And then you talk to people like, man, I was shocked at actually how bad they were. Like how uncomfortable they seemed in the car. Yeah. Called
Speaker 2: Long. Yeah. Like when Louis Hamilton tested for coin. Yeah,
Speaker 1: Right. It was, it was shocking. Just, you know, bizarre. Um,
Speaker 2: That didn't happen. Just to be clear, ,
Speaker 1: I remember when Schwartzman tested and I remember people saying, and I, he tested on a day with a couple other rookies as well. I forget who it was. Naza, maybe Nazar was there. And it was a few guys, well rated
Speaker 3: Guys and Penske Speaker 1: Liked for mother championships. Penske liked Naza Speaker 1: As well. I mean they liked him enough to hire him Exactly in the sports car world. Uh, but I remember that the discussions about Schwarzman after that test were like, man, this kid is really good. And I had barely heard his name before that point. 'cause obviously in North America we hadn't really heard a lot about him. I think maybe I had heard about him from you and I always remembered that mean like he really impressed the guys like Mike Hole from gsi who has seen the best of the best. I mean they've got Alex Palone's got Dixon on their team. Doesn't really get better than that. So, uh, I'm, I'm really happy he made his way
Speaker 5: So frustrating working with you.
Speaker 2: So my mom has given us an update then in case you haven't heard when this comes out on Tuesday, that um, that the two in 12 car have been sent to the back of the field.
Speaker 3: Thank you for watching our broadcast this morning, , which appreciated .
Speaker 2: Uh, how do you guys feel about, you know, the, the fact that they, they got the penalty and that's a pretty big penalty. But if you're able and you under
Speaker 3: Need something stronger Speaker 2: Than under, under,
Speaker 1: Hold on, take a step back. We'll inform the audience not here who I assume know everything because you've the audience. The
Speaker 3: Audience Speaker 1: At home. The audience at home. So Yesterday, uh, we were about to run for the top 12 shootout for qualifying and suddenly we are told that the number two car and the number 12 car, those of Joseph Newgarden and willpower are being pulled out of line in pit lane. Now you can't do that in the shootout for the top 12. It's not like normal qualifying on the Saturday where you can put yourself outta line, go back to the garage, make some changes, and come back. You get one shot, you get one chance in line, you don't take it, you are done. Why are they pulling out? It turns out, and this is where it gets a bit confusing, one car failed inspection, maybe both cars failed inspection, maybe neither failed inspection, and they just found their way onto pit lane and Chip nessi spotted something and then they decided to withdraw them. The the facts aren't really facts because we've heard so many different versions of this story that nobody really knows what the truth is. Ultimately it all came down to the attenuator, which is a word I've never heard used before for the rear crash structure, crash structure on the car. Essentially there's a blend line between where you attach it to the back of the car and it's a part of the car that you are not allowed to modify. And what Penske had done was modify it in order to smooth that transitional line down in order to allow the air to flow smoother over it and increase speed. No,
Speaker 1: It was to make it look better. That's what they said.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course. Um,
Speaker 2: Well they had to make it match Last year's card , he edits it,
Speaker 3: Evidence of which can be seen right now in the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.
Speaker 2: It's a brand new museum. Check it out. Um,
Speaker 3: And so they were withdrawn from qualifying so they take up the final places in the top 12 except that this is seen as being so egregious that they've been thrown to the back of the grid despite the fact that there is no regulation that says they should have been.
Speaker 2: Um, Speaker 3: Yeah, dog Bowles this morning said they've basically gone outside of the normal regulations in order to impose a penalty that is sufficient enough that it reflects the gravity of, of, of what they've done. And the thing with it is, it's brazen, right? It's not like they're trying to hide something under this. It's there for everyone to see.
Speaker 1: God, there's, I don't even know where to start man. There's just so many
Speaker 3: Things. But where does that, does that come from an arrogance of like, well, but there's, well no one's gonna see this. And it's like,
Speaker 2: Yeah, Speaker 3: Pretty much everyone's gonna see that. But We ran it last year, but they didn't it
Speaker 3: See it right?
Speaker 2: They didn't see it last year. It's in the museum. So
Speaker 1: Who are you more mad at Penske for doing it or Indy Carr for not seeing it for however long? Well,
Speaker 2: At least three. Well, I've mad whoever owns IndyCar for not seeing it, but No,
Speaker 3: But, but, but, but here's the thing. Like you've basically just got Rocket doing everything down there on his own. He needs a full team of full-time, uh, scrutinies who know the rule book inside out who are professionals and are paid and turn up every single weekend. Because if you are looking through the rule book, and by the way, this part doesn't prescribe to Article 14.6 0.3 0.2 a, uh, like
Speaker 2: Well, and and that's not one of the parts they usually check, right? Like you see 'em have the, the level on the back wing to make sure it's
Speaker 3: Yeah, but how do you not see it? It's blatant, it's right there.
Speaker 2: I guess if they're not looking for it right? like I guarantee they see it now,
Speaker 3: But they do now. But it's, it's, it's a very, and so obviously now there's this whole argument of they put an illegal car in to run qualifying on the Sunday. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you're Jacob Pable
Speaker 3: Did, but did they also do that on the Saturday? Because it passed inspection on the Saturday, but if they weren't looking for it, and by the way, that same thing passed the Cruin last year for the Indy 500 winning car. Yeah. Then did they run it on this? Is that just normal operating procedure for Penske on that car and that they didn't think or realize that it was actually illegal to do that? Uh, you know, and then there's that big question mark of, well, if they did that on the Saturday and Jacob ends up being bumped on the Sunday because he didn't make the field on the Saturday, should he be in the race? Okay. And we spoke, but well, yeah, well, but they, but then, but we, but we spoke to him earlier today and to his great credit and I have to say it was one of the most mature and, and and genuinely like, impactful things. He said, I don't wanna race the Indy 500 on a technicality.
Speaker 1: Amen. Speaker 3: And I love that from him because his heart is broken. And rather than jumping on this bandwagon and being like, yeah, kick him out, he's like, no, we didn't do the job. Jacob has handled the whole situation phenomenally well. He's so many times as someone that's someone's been there and done it many Absolutely he is, he has won the respect of a lot of people in this paddock. A lot of fans watching all over the world. Okay, so I'm gonna play devil's advocate on some of this. Not 'cause I want to emotionally, I feel like most people in this room I think feel, but the way it works in theory is the cars go pretech, they go on track, they do post tech, and then at the end of the day when everything's agreed to be fine, the timekeeper signs the timing and scoring sheet and the results are official after Saturday. All of those things happened by the rule of their own law. Saturday is set based on that.
Speaker 3: So then they should start 11th and 12th.
Speaker 1: Yes. That is my belief. 'cause their rules state if, if, if this is all about rules and we're all about trying to make sure people are sticking to the rules in car, have now broken their own rules. Yeah. Why did they do it? To try to go above and beyond to prove a point. That's bull. That's not a good look in my opinion. I think it looks worse that they put them to the back row because if it's such an egregious penalty, and look guys, I'm gonna say something real quick here. What they did black and white against the rules. Is it finding them a mile an hour? No, it is a very small, I don't wanna say inconsequential thing. Everything's consequential when you're going around the speedway. We're looking for margins that are small. I get it. Was it the difference between Scott being on poll last year and not, not saying he had it. I don't know, but just bear with me. I'm just all three cars on the front row last year. Great point. We don't know if they had it or not, but was that the difference? I don't think that was the difference. It's small. It is small, but it's, it's a rule infraction. But if you're saying
Speaker 6: We found somebody outside kind of roaming around.
Speaker 1: Oh, ladies and gentlemen, the poll sitter for the 109th running of the Indianapolis 500 as a rookie, Robert Schwartzman has joined the podcast.
Speaker 3: Do you want a beer Speaker 1: ? Do you want a beer or do you want a vodka? You
Speaker 2: Got until Friday you, you're not in
Speaker 1: The car for a while. We got a 12 hour bottle of throttle rule here in Indy car. You're good. We've
Speaker 3: Heard 24, but you do you buck fast. Have you ever had buck
fast Speaker 1: ? No. Nor should you ever I didn't guys round of applause for the pole sitter for this year's Indy 500.
Speaker 7: You didn't Nobody told me there's gonna be so many people here. I thought
Speaker 2: Just Speaker 1: I'd
Speaker 3: Wait for Sunday.
Speaker 1: I didn't tell him to be fair. .
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I thought we'll be sitting in like in a small little room like hidden there with
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. They didn't tell me either. Yeah. They said, do you wanna come and record a podcast? I'm like, sounds nice, chilled, relax, just meet James and you know, a couple of friends. No,
Speaker 7: We got played, man. We got played. You
Speaker 2: Hear that? I was called couple of
friends. Speaker 1: . We're gonna edit that out. We're gonna make sure that doesn't make it. Robert, congratulations
Speaker 3: Man. I thought Rossy was
coming. Speaker 1: .
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what I, I heard as well was like, ah, you know, Rossy's coming, you wanna join up? I was like, yeah, well why
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 7: Nice. And then I was like, oh no, there is not Rossy
Speaker 3: Anymore. You're gonna have to, and I have to take some tips from hch.
Speaker 1: I I want you to know that like his name is on this show and he still didn't bother to show up after practice yet you're here. So we really appreciate the effort.
Speaker 3: Uh, this, this, this episode needs to be called Hinch and Schwarze.
Speaker 1: I I like it. I like it. We can do that. And oh, we have so many things to talk about now. How, how long do you have? Well, how long are you here for?
Speaker 7: Uh, well, I don't know. I think I need to do something at,
Speaker 1: I would imagine you have so many things to do.
Speaker 3: He just said he needs to do something at five.
Speaker 1: No, no. Speaker 2: Yeah, we just, we only need you for three, four hours tops. You guys can stay right? Oh, oh, be amazing. Amazing Speaker 3: Moly. Moly. Guys, you're getting an extra treat here. Okay. You need to, you
Speaker 3: Need to keep, you need to keep him more in line. Man. 25 minutes is a and he, this guy's used to like
Speaker 1: Ferrari. We're not F1 anymore.
Speaker 3: You got two minutes? Yeah. Yeah. Like, that's it. That's your whole interview
Speaker 1: Question. No follow ups.
Speaker 3: All questions must be pre-approved before
Speaker 2: You ask me. Well, as I've told every woman I've dated, two minutes is
plenty Speaker 1: .
Speaker 3: Um, are you, are you currently dating?
Speaker 2: I am. And unfortunately my mom is right there when I made that joke. I love that .
Speaker 1: Now I understand why you have a kid. Um, I'm
Speaker 3: Gonna shut up and let this man talk
Speaker 1: Anyway. Yes, dude. How does it feel to rock up to the speedway your very first time here and in Abu Hole?
Speaker 7: Well, it feels honestly unbelievable still even now. Like, uh, whenever I was watching like your commentary and you're like, yeah, Robert Schwartzman's going, it is like 33 1 and I, I didn't even see the, the speed. I was just like fully focused on, on the corners. Like just be precise, ideal. I was like, let me just finish this four laps. I don't want to end up like Colton Marcus or Scotty just wanna, you know, finish the run, keep the car safe. And I was like, I did all four laps. I was like, I breathe, like I breathe out and I'm like, so where am I at? I was like, so speaking to my engineer, I was like, so where we are? And he's like, P one. I'm like,
what Speaker 1: ?
Speaker 7: And I'm like, really? He was like, yeah, yeah, P one. And I was like, okay. So at that stage I was super happy because I knew that that's at least the front row, you know, because I had only, uh, Pato and Felix behind me. So I was like, okay, wait, maybe they're gonna go faster. But at the same time I knew that maybe not because I've seen one thing that only me and Sato had in the car and all the others didn't. And that What's that? Oh, that's is a secret. I'm sorry. I'm not gonna
say Speaker 1: . Nah,
Speaker 7: Nah, nah, nah.
Speaker 1: I feel he was about to say it and then you asked me, ruined it. God, were you, were you gonna let it slip, edit real life and
just Speaker 7: ? No, no, no, no. But that's definitely something I've noticed that, you know, there is just me and Sato and when I saw Sato doing the lab, I was like, he's really fast and compare others, he was at least half a mile faster. So I was like, maybe I have a good chance here. So that was also another boost of confidence.
Speaker 3: Did, did you deploy and regen hybrid on your Walmart lap?
Speaker 7: No. Speaker 1: Okay. It's
Speaker 3: Not that then. No,
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, Speaker 7: No. How's your attenuator? No, no, no, no. The thing is, uh, as you saw, my first and second lap normally was always fast. And then I had a bit of drop where the tiles were just going off. So our main, let's say Target was to keep the car lasting all four laps that I can get either really close, flat or flat. And that's what we did in the final run. We just changed a little bit, few things and the car was just flat all four laps. So you talk about the final run, the one that mattered the most, but you had to get to that point and you had a, you had my favorite interview of Saturday, which was after your first qualifying attempt. You got out and you were like, man, I've driven a lot of different cars, I've raced in a lot of different series. That was probably the hardest, scariest thing that I've done in a indie car. Can you just talk about that a little bit? Oh, what
Speaker 7: Happened there Speaker 1: Tim? Just don't, don't come back. Just you. That's it. Nope. Nope. Goal is to not hit her in the head. Nope.
Speaker 3: How do you, how Speaker 1: Do you do this? We're not normally in the same room. We're not normally in the same building. Same kind or same state usually anyway, Robert? Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: You Speaker 1: Get that first Qualifi. I think We were a bit too optimistic with our balance. So it was definitely the hottest qualifying, let's say session so far. Like the first one first because Oh, somebody has a proper American.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Can we, can we turn that music
Speaker 2: Off Brent?
Speaker 7: Yeah. Oh my God. Yeah. Okay. Um, no, but uh, that was definitely the hottest because you know, we, first of all, I was very nervous. I knew that, you know, I'm gonna be driving at 230 mile an hour and I have to hold on for four laps and I have to do a good job. And the target was to get in top 12 or to beat my teammate as it would always is. And I have no idea how the conditions are, how the car is gonna behave. So I, I barely slept that night.
Speaker 1: And you didn't practice in the morning, did you?
Speaker 3: I, by the way, I love that. Yeah. That's such a power move. Like yeah, we got the car, I'm not gonna practice, just gonna go and qualify.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Speaker 2: Um, so wait, was that a confidence thing or more of a, like a risk aversion thing to not do a McLaughlin? Uh, McLaughlin that was exactly the thing that we, we understood that it will not make sense, will not learn anything by doing the warmup. And I'm not gonna get any more confidence. I knew that whenever you go to quality, you just floor it and whatever happens happens. If I put it at the wall, so be it. He's a quick learner, but that's where you need to just go all in. And I didn't want to waste my energy in a warmup. I didn't want to take any risk. And you know, also the engineer side, they were like, what's the point? We're not gonna learn anything. The car won't be better. Why? And I was like, okay, we'll not do it. And that, that was the right way. Because as you saw, for example, Scotty, for me, he was the main contender for Poe. Like whenever I was looking at his speed and he basically, yeah, he lost his quality possibility, let's say in, in in the practice. And uh, yeah, at the end of the day, that's what, you know, that's why I, we took Poe position is that we took every time the right decision, like whenever we go or we don't go, what we change with the car because in the morning of Sunday, uh, the engineer they came and he's like, should we try a different strategy? And they, the strategy was way more risky. Like I had to do way more things like playing around. And initially I was like, yeah, why, why not? We already in top 12, we already did a miracle, blah, blah, blah. And at some point, uh, fun fact, I went to the bathroom, you know, had uh, 20 minutes of thoughts of processing
Speaker 2: 20 minutes.
Speaker 7: Good Speaker 1: Man to man. Good man.
Speaker 3: That's how we do it in Europe, man. Yeah,
Speaker 1: I'm the same way. I'm
Speaker 7: The same way. Yeah. Take, take time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you guys need fiber? I have some
supplements. Speaker 7: , yeah, I had a bit of processing how I will do it and then I was like, no, it's too complicated why we need to go now and qualify and it's too late. I haven't had any time to practice it. I was like, let's just keep the standard roots, just go back, lemme do the simple things. Lemme just try to floor it for four laps and we'll see where I'm gonna be. And you know, that's what we did.
Speaker 3: And the great thing is is having a 20 minute <inaudible> lighter in the car. Yeah,
Speaker 1: That's two tents, that's two tenths for sure. , we call it, we call it dropping two tents in the paddock . Um, so, so you were one of the guys that found, I mean some guys didn't even go faster, but between top 12 and fast six, you guys found a tremendous amount of pace. Was that a change to the car? Did you trim or was that just you getting better, optimizing things, being more comfortable?
Speaker 7: The funny thing is that from Saturday, the car hasn't been changed.
Speaker 1: What? That's awesome. awesome.
Speaker 7: Yes. And that's where I think it's also another play that we did because others, they were going back and forward because in the top 12 everybody went back on different, say options, angles, wing angles. 'cause we, we can see what others were doing and then they went back again. So they were always doing like ups and out and we were just keeping it steady. We just needed to find that perfect balance, perfect temperature. And that's where my best friend was, the final one. But the car was the same.
Speaker 3: Um, when, it's amazing, when we came into this month of May, most people had Premier down to be in last chance qualifying. Right? And that one premier car wouldn't make the field. That was just everybody in the paddock just assumed that's what was gonna happen.
Speaker 1: I mean, I called it, I Speaker 3: Knew it was gonna be a pole. And then, and then dude, I call, I actually did call it. Um, Yeah, Speaker 3: But then you're fighting for, for Pole and we know, listen, I know your talents as a racing driver, but you, you can't fight for pole unless you've got the car. When Michael Cannon was left, the team early in the season, the Indy 500 specialist, everyone was like, well that's, that's premise screwed. And yet here you are on the pole position. How much of an influence of people like Robert and Eric on your team, the engineering brilliance and knowhow that they've brought to give you the car that you needed? How important have they been? It's Speaker 7: Extremely important, honestly. Um, you know, that I've had, he's my third engineer. Like not in the way that's, so basically I have two engineers now. One is Mario, the one I've raced in Europe in Formula Free. I won with him and
Speaker 3: He was my engineer.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's true. Yeah. He said it was funny, Mario, he's really good lad. And uh, basically for normal reasons, he never done a noble. So he said, listen, I don't feel at all confident to give you a car. I don't wanna sort of kill you. And he said it to the team. That's
Speaker 1: Nice of him. That's a plus. He sounds like a sweet guy. This Mario? Yeah, generally speaking that's like
Speaker 3: Goal. Yeah. Mario's a solid dude, trust
Speaker 1: Me. No, no, he,
Speaker 3: I don't think he minded it. No,
Speaker 1: No. He, for
Speaker 3: Me, Speaker 1: He's
Speaker 7: Really taking care of me. He really wants me to do good. Um, so yeah, I mean, you know, we are big friends with him, so he's like, listen, like I don't feel like doing ovals. And he said it to Renee and Renee was like, okay. And Renee spoke with Chevy and uh, Chevy offered Eric. They said, okay, for, for the Oval race, we can give you a guy who has experience who worked with Joseph New God and who worked at Pensky, who has some knowledge. Huh.
Speaker 1: I knew you could not do it. I was just waiting. I was like, I'm even gonna look. He's just gonna go. Who's that? What has he ever done?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, um, so basically this guy, and you know, just a fun fact, this guy works at SpaceX. If nobody knew that he, the guy is, let's say working at Elon Musk company, actually he met the guy once. I was like, next time we'll took a picture yesterday from Proposition. I said, next time you see Elon just show him this and say this is how rocket ships are made. So,
Speaker 3: Ah, love that. Next, next SpaceX rocket's gonna be painted red, white, and green with Robert Schwartzman's face right on the side of it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So Eric definitely the guy, he's super intelligent, super clever and super calm. Like he's unbelievable. You know, like European, especially like Mario, he can be impulsive sometimes, you know, it is like he gets the energy he can. Eric is like ice cold. Like he just, like, there is, you know, fireworks, fire, water, everything. He's just standard like calm. And obviously he has some deep inside emotions, but he never shows it. And he's so calm with speaking and he uses really right words to people like to mechanics, how to, you know, approach things. He's super chill guy. And I think that was also a big boost in the, in the team where sort of people were calm, there was no panic. They on the ship, you know, they were just like step by step. We were just doing some things and I, I, yeah, that's, that's the approach. Then from Rob's side, Rob worked in McLaren and he knows how gearbox should be built up, how the car should look like for the ovals. So he was doing a lot, a lot of work on the background to get everything sorted for this race. Unfortunately, we only have this car, so I have only this car, I don't have a spare car. So that's why I, I needed to take big care of the car because if there is anything that's gonna happen, that's it, you know, game over. We don't have like Penskes a spare car or Andretti and stuff like that. So you know, nothing are
Speaker 2: Are you going out carb day? Yeah. Okay. So we
Speaker 1: Keep, Speaker 7: Yeah. Um, so yeah, that's why. But this car is people before pretty properly built. Like, you know, the guy, he said
Speaker 2: He was taking care of the car. I was
Speaker 1: Like, come down. He's is always like a you're per guest. He, yeah, he is always like this. It's terrible man. I have to do this every week. Is he drunk? Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay. Speaker 1: Welcome to America, Pete, man. Yeah, he, he pinned you real quick, man. That didn't take long at all. Um, all right, so James, you've been on the pole in this race in 2016. That was, that was a hint for a round of applause for James by the way. So you got, got Robert going to fold. Do you have any advice?
Speaker 1: Don't lift in one. Okay, , you got the best seat in the house, man. It's, it's the most incredible thing ever. You're gonna be doing those laps. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what's gonna be weird in all seriousness, you've, you know, been here since last Tuesday, driving around in circles, open test, driving around in circles and you, you come to fast Friday, there's a couple people in the grandstand, but for the most part, the place is empty. It's great grandstands. Then you get to Saturday and there's a few more people you get to poll day. There's a few more people. Even today there was a okay crowd, you're gonna rock up on carb day, there's gonna be a lot more people in the stands. You're be like, oh well this place is filling up. This is kind of cool. Most of the stands are still gonna be empty. You're gonna get in the car on race day. You will have been through all the pomp. Thank you . Oh, as soon as the emotion, you're gonna have been through all the pomp and circumstance of the opening ceremonies, which are incredible. And you will find very cool, you're gonna strap it in that race car and the stands that you can see, which this is one of the things you're gonna hear, the stands that you can see on the front straight. That's only a small part of the racetrack. And you're gonna be, man, I cannot believe how many people are in these grandstands. And then you're gonna belt in, you are gonna fire up and you're gonna take off on the first pace lap. And you're gonna be the first guy that gets to go around 1, 2, 3, and four and see 300,000 people in these grandstands that up to this point have just been gray, lifeless structures. The track comes
alive. Speaker 2: , please finish Vice gentlemen Jim Cornelius joining us, .
Speaker 1: But it's surreal, man. The place looks different and you're gonna go into turn one and your visuals, all your cues are skewed. You're gonna go into three. It's gonna look tighter and more narrow than it does in practice because the track looks like it's, the stands look like they're coming in onto the racetrack. It is unbelievable. The whole place just comes alive If you play golf.
Speaker 2: Like actual golf. Speaker 3: Yeah, like golf. Golf.
Speaker 1: Wait, what other kind of golf is,
Speaker 2: What's a pro up there? Mini? No, mini golf. He Okay. Pot putt champion. No, no, no. But I mean, I, I can play a bit, but I'm not a pro.
Speaker 3: So I was talking to Connor about it this morning and we were talking about how if you play a golf course in the winter, all the leaves have fallen off the trees and the fairways feel wide open. You can go back to the same golf course in the summer and the trees all have the leaves on them. You're playing the exact same course, but it feels narrower and tighter because you've now got leaves on the trees. Which is similar to what James is saying about how when these ground stands are full of 350,000 people, like it looks like a different place.
Speaker 1: Do you like what I'm saying? Except you're talking about <inaudible> golf, which is the most boring sport in the world. And I'm talking about IndyCar racing at the Indianapolis Motor
Speaker 2: Speedway. Know
Speaker 1: Your audience. Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Hey James, follow up in Speaker 1: I was trying to
Speaker 3: Impart something Speaker 1: Meaningful. Yes, I, I know and it was beautiful to bring in comparison to bring in people from others. It was incredible and it just did not land in this room half
Speaker 2: With you, James. James, follow up one year you didn't make the race. I don't have a question. I just wanted to remind you. Appreciate
Speaker 1: That. Anyway, so I've already spoken to Jacob Abel several times today, so it's fine. Um, no, okay, look, that was incredible. That
Speaker 3: Was, that wasn't unnecessarily harsh.
Speaker 2: He's been kind, Speaker 1: Mean to me. Question. I only had one last question.
Speaker 3: Read the room. Hinge Speaker 1: One question. Oh, what's the question? You've got one question? Yeah, one more question. Yeah. Perfect. 'cause this is the last, this is what I actually wanted to end on. 'cause we've talked about the Indy 500. I'm sure you've answered a million questions already about that. And you're gonna answer a million more before Sunday.
Schwartz Speaker 2: .
Speaker 1: Do we get a, who knows what I'm talking about by me saying that. Do we know that this is a recording artist right here? The first the first get
Speaker 3: On Spotify right now. This guy, this guy's just a driver. He's a producer, a rapper, a singer.
Speaker 1: He is Speaker 2: Easy Tiger. He's, he's the first SoundCloud rapper to ever win poll at the Indy. 500%. Nevermind SoundCloud. Percent. Spotify. Spotify.
Speaker 2: I apologize. Well, I can't, we can't promote Spotify. This is
Speaker 1: A serious podcast. He's, he's legitimately talented. The question I've got, 'cause we only have one left. Um, first of all, I do think that like, we're gonna big this up on the broadcast. Oh yeah. I dunno how much money you make off downloads and stuff, but we're gonna get your like thing. We're gonna be, we're gonna get you charting. Um, how did you get into like te tell us your music story. I think that's just so unique and so cool.
Speaker 7: Well, uh, you know, my dad, he really loved music and uh, when I was young, I loved, like Metallica, Lincoln Park was my favorite band and I was just like listening. I was like, yeah, you know, heavy metal stuff. And um, you know, my dad was listening at that stage, more classic music and I was like, yeah, it's boring. Come on. What, what are you listening? It's just like, there is no words, nothing. No, no movement. And he was like, listen, when you grow up, you gonna understand something like, you know how like music is structured, how you know this, like symphonies and stuff. So when I was growing up, I started actually picking up on my dad because I could hear him listening to it. So I was like, okay, who is this? Who's that? This is actually nice tune, nice melody. And he, you know, brought me in the classic music and I already had some knowledge of heavy metal, classic music, a bit of pop. And then the rap started to, you know, hook me up because, you know, rappers, they start to sample like cool moments, cool beats, cool, you know, like melodies. And I was like, this is cool when you can actually sample a cool melody, add maybe some cool, let's say speech, like, and, and you know, and you tune it and then you, you just put your lyrics, you can speak something, what you wanna speak about, your problems about life, about general problems in, in the world and whatever you have about love. And I just started to get hooked up by the rap and I was like, okay, this is interesting. And at some point when my dad passed away, I uh, I have a friend, uh, at home who is doing professionally, let's say being a rapper and writing songs and stuff like that. And he was like, yo, do you wanna just join up? You know, just let's go to the boot, you know, record something. And I was like, why not? Let's try, you know, and I was just a listener. I was not singing, I didn't go to any music school. I didn't do any of that. Like even in, in the school when they were like, the only thing I've done about music is just play on a, how you call a flute or something like that. The
Speaker 1: Recorder three. The recorder, yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah. That is the only thing Speaker 1: I've done Cross
Speaker 2: Cross buns up in this bitch. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Um, and yeah, basically I don't have any knowledge of actual music. I just, by the year, so I listen and I, and we started, you know, just, you know, writing some stuff and, you know, he was like, try, you know, put, put it like this. And I just started to just copy and copy and it started to sound really cool. And like I started to feel like it's quite easy. I get in the flow, I get in the rhythm, I actually, and then I start improvising. I start adding my, my own, you know, like punch lines or like, you know, some, you know, voice wise, you know, some ad libs and stuff like that to, to make the whole song. And it started to be creative and I was like, this is actual fun process. And it's like, a bit like working with the engineers on the race car. You know, you sit down, you look at the like, telemetry, which is on the music side is like a system where you can, you know, play around change some things and you just create your own, let's say your own vibe, your own idea, your own style. And you can go from a sad to happy to cool, whatever type of song and you just, you know, play with it. It's so, so really cool. And then I released one song. I actually did 15 in total, but I didn't release them all, um,
Speaker 1: Yet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well the thing is, I realized when I released the first one is that I need to find a proper studio to make it big. And that's why I was, I released it basically on my own. The song that I've done is just my social media and I just put it in iTunes and whatever, like Spotify platforms, but there were no boost up. There was no, no, you know, radio and that type of things that were not there. And it went really well for what it was. But I was like, then I tried to search and tried to speak with different companies, but, uh, they were too big and, you know, you, you, I don't know, you have to have some connections to get into that from what I got explained. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does, does being the IndyCar pulse sitter help with that, you think? ? Ah,
Speaker 1: I hope Speaker 7: So. I certainly hope so.
Speaker 2: It might open some doors,
Speaker 7: But yeah. Yeah. Also coming here to us, that's where, because initially when I was going, so at that's time it was in Russia. And in Russia obviously with all the situation, everything got closed and you know, there was just Russian music and I did not wanna do Russian music. I was like, I wanna do, let's say like speaking English for the whole world. And, uh, so there, there wouldn't be any promotion from Russia. Um, then I also have, I'm living partially in Dubai and also there in Dubai it's a different, different story. So I was like, I I, I, where, where can I go? Where, where can I find? And when I came here to us, I was like, maybe this can be a good opportunity. So maybe at some point there's gonna be someone who will be interested. He's like, Hey, yo, you know, I'm doing this, this is my company and you wanna jump in? I have this artist. You, maybe you do a collab or you know, like do a fit with them. And I was like, yeah, why not? And we get back on, on real music reels, you
Speaker 1: Know, you should have signed for Maya Shank. They got the SiriusXM. Yeah, . I'm joking,
Speaker 2: I'm joking by the way. So do we
Speaker 1: Podcast? You wouldn't be on Sirius xm, so, uh, maybe we can make some intros for you. Hey, look, we really appreciate you stopping. Thank you. So much. Thank you. Busiest man in Indy car right here.
Speaker 2: And the pole sitter for the 2025 Indy
Speaker 1: 501st rookie pole sitter with a rookie team in the history of the race. He didn't even know that guys, didn't we? Oh, .
Speaker 2: No, no, Speaker 7: No. But the actual fun fact, another one for you guys is that the last rookie who have taken the pole position did it in 1983 and my car number is 83 83.
Speaker 1: Oh, mic drop moment right there. How did we miss that? How did we miss that? That's a great point. It's a great point. Well,
Speaker 2: 'cause there was some confusion, right? 'cause uh, Tony Stewart was a rookie that got pulled, but he got it as a technicality, right? He didn't want,
Speaker 1: Oh my God. Corrected. Prema
Speaker 3: Prema was started in 1983. Oh my god, this is
Speaker 2: Alright, well now we've got the conspiracy theories going.
Speaker 1: All right, Robert Schwartzman. One more time. Thanks
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: Thanks buddy. Speaker 3: So the thing about about rapping with Schwartzman, which is real funny, is, um, we, so Robert used to be a co-host for me when I was on F1 tv, right? And he would come on the shows and, and and, and present with me. And, uh, before we went on air, it was in Zal a couple last year actually. We were just like loosening up and getting ready to go. And he loves notorious BIG as you do. And I love Notorious BIG. And so we just did like the whole of, of juicy by Notorious BIG , like into the camera.
Speaker 2: Is there a recording Speaker 1: Somewhere?
Speaker 3: That footage exists somewhere. So Ferrari went eight and we're like, that is deleted. That never makes public air ever. And um, and so yesterday I I I text him and I was just like, it was all a dream, , dot.dot. And he was just like, yeah, like, I mean, very cool. Crazy, crazy.
Speaker 2: I think you, I think you tweeted that. I saw, I I
Speaker 3: Caught, yeah, I put that out the end between, yeah, yeah, yeah,
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well guys, I don't remember where we were in our previous discussion. I think that was
Speaker 3: Who don't just had the poll sitter.
Speaker 2: We just had the poll sitter. Yeah,
Speaker 1: I think I was getting mad about stuff. Tim's one of the best people are attenuated, but whatever. Um,
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go melt some car parts.
Speaker 1: I'm Speaker 2: Gonna go nuts. Didn't they, didn't they do that with like, the blow? Oh Yeah, they, yeah, yeah. They weren't melting.
Speaker 2: It's, I mean, well, what the hell were they doing with the blowtorch thing? How would you describe it? Grinder?
Speaker 1: They had both. Speaker 2: Patto said he had a, they had a blowtorch, right? No, Thank you. We have videos of that. They did have a blowtorch.
Speaker 2: Okay. So then how would you describe what they did with the blowtorch?
Speaker 1: I, let's put it this way. I don't think that when they got the blowtorch, their goal with the blowtorch was to melt the car, burn
Speaker 2: The evidence. I didn't say they melted the car, burn the car. I've said they like, they, they melted some parts
Speaker 1: Of it. What that used for melting. No, I don't think that's it. What
Speaker 2: Do you use a blowtorch for? Are you just over there making C nonstop softening
Speaker 1: The put branding? Yeah, that, yeah. What he said, not
Speaker 2: What you said Softing the putty. What?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's totally different than melting. Relax, calm down. Um, yes. Okay. So
Speaker 2: Do you see what I have to deal with
Speaker 1: Will interesting situation. Uh, that's, that's evolving here. I, I know we've had press conferences and all the rest of it. I, I still get the sense that we haven't heard the end of this. Um, but at the same time, what I want less than anything is for this to be the headline of the race for this to be the thing people focus on. So until we hear more, I'm content to shut up about it. Let the racing on track, do the talking and, and look forward to a great
Speaker 3: Race. The thing is, there's no such thing as bad publicity. I don't disagree. And if it brings some more viewers in to be like, Hey, it's the second year in a row that, you know, uh, new Garden and Power haven't had their strategists on the pit wall for them at Penske because they've been caught doing something that they shouldn't do. And the guy going for three wins in a row is gonna start from the last row of the grid. And we've got a rookie on, like, I wanted the story to be the, the saddest thing about this Penske thing is that I hope it hasn't, but I kind of feel like it's taken some of the, the impact of what Robert and Prema did yesterday away because everyone's focusing on this. Like, for sure, oh, Penske, you're cheating again for sure. And, and, and they don't deserve that. They deserve to be front and center. They deserve to be the main headline of this week. And that's what I'm saying. And now they're not. Yeah. And, and I think that's a great sadness if it brings some more people to the broadcast, great for us. But
Speaker 1: Everybody loves a scandal.
Speaker 3: Everyone loves a scandal. No such thing as, as bad news. But that kid, and you just heard from him like who he really is, like who he is in his soul and not just behind the wheel of a racing car, but how much of a genuinely lovely dude he is. Like, I've known him years and I'm so happy for him that, that this is happening to him. I want him to be the story. Yeah. I want Premier to be the story. I don't want this Penske bollocks to be the story.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I think by the time we get to race day, that's gonna be it. The Penske guys are at the back, Robert's at the front, and when the green flag drops, that's what you're gonna see. So, yeah, look, again, I don't think we've seen or heard the last of it, um, mainly because Alex hasn't had a chance to chime in yet. So tune in Thursday because that's gonna be, uh, we're gonna revisit it all again on Thursday. But until then, guys, thank you so much for coming out today. Thanks guys. We really appreciate it. Okay. See you, you enjoyed your day. And, and
Speaker 2: Thank you to Clayton Anderson for playing the show before we got up here. Clayton Anderson, you did a great job,
Speaker 1: Man. The myth, the legend.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Brent Cox for hosting us in the suite.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Will Buxton for taking time out of his very busy schedule. I don't say that tongue in cheek. I mean that it's been an insane thing. I'm
Speaker 3: Like, I'd have turned up anyway, but to have 25 minutes with Robert Schwartzman completely.
Speaker 1: That was so helpful for us, for our jobs, genuinely,
Speaker 3: But just like completely open and honest. Yeah, like
Speaker 2: That. If you want, if you want that footage, um, we can discuss the payment plan. And
Speaker 3: I'm, I'm, I was here. It's dammit. Like it's gone in, dude. He also
Speaker 1: Acts like it's his show. I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also like, it doesn't, Hey,
Speaker 2: Can you pass that, that wine tonic with the
Speaker 3: Ing we're all here. Like, it's gone in. It doesn't just come into our brains when you decide to upload it. No.
Speaker 2: See, most of the stuff that goes
Speaker 1: Here, Speaker 2: It goes right out. So I just assume everybody else will like that. So you, Joan, Joan, come grab your property. Get him outta here guys. Thanks again so much. Mom. Where's mom?
Speaker 3: Where's mom? Grab, take him
Speaker 1: Home. Oh no, she laughed. She was there. She left even when your mother can't stand
Speaker 3: Your shit anymore. Jesus
Speaker 1: Christ, thanks for coming. Enjoy the rest of the day. More importantly, enjoy the 109th running of the Indianapolis 500, presented by Cambridge Sunday, May 25th live on Fox. This has been off track with Hinch and Rossi. Off Track is part of the Sirius XM Sports Podcast Network. If you enjoyed this episode and want to hear more, please give a five star rating and leave a review. Subscribe today, wherever you stream your podcasts. We are at Ask Offtrack on Twitter and Instagram. And if you wanna follow us on Twitter, where at Hinch Town and at Alexander Rossi. If you wanna follow them though, we have no idea why you would. He's at the Tim Durham on Twitter. Find us on YouTube and subscribe to our channel for exclusive video content. Off Track is produced by Tim Durham, and by that we mean.