Speaker 1: This is off track
Speaker 2: Racing. I've
Speaker 3: Known you for over a decade and I did not know you spoke anything more than hello, goodbye. And you in French . Well,
Speaker 1: Full surprise. It was, it was pretty impressive. Right?
Speaker 3: Um, okay, well, uh, for those that don't, uh, speak fluent French, um, hello and welcome. This is a Tuesday episode. We've got a special guest. James isn't here 'cause he is flying or on a yacht or whatever he does. Um, and let's be honest, who would've thought we'd get here, guys? Um, having Roma on, on the show. Uh, this is, it's growth happens, right? Growth happens in life, in relationships, um, both professional and personal. So thank you very much for being here and let's get right into it. Congrats. Um, this has gotta be a, I can't wait to hear the story of, of how we got here. So why don't you, uh, tell everyone that doesn't know what you're doing this year and, uh, how you got to this point? Yeah,
Speaker 1: Well it only took me five years to make it to off track. That's my first invite for the record. I was never invited before. Um, so thanks for the congrats. That's what you meant, right? That I made it to off track.
Speaker 3: A hundred percent. Yes, absolutely. Yes.
Speaker 1: Good. And on the side note, I'll be back in Indica as well. Uh, trying to have fun with you racing around the, you know, the country and, uh, back with Delcon Racing where I was with in 2021. Um, got to test last week in Sebring and eventually we managed to announce the, you know, that I was back in IndyCar and I'm excited. And, um, you know, I think it's a championship that, that I love and that I've had a lot of fun. Uh, daily's a is a character that I absolutely, uh, adore or love, I dunno what's the right word, uh, but I'm just glad to be back there. Um, and, um, I think, you know, we, we have a good team. Uh, I'm, I'm excited to be racing along with Tony Soja. I think he is a very fast young kid and, um, also make the most of my last few years of single SITAs.
Speaker 3: So before we get into this year and the expectations, like, why don't you walk us through, obviously. So your last full-time year in series was 2024 with, uh, Junco Hollinger. You went and did, uh, a factory Lamborghini sports car program in 2025. The, the doors on that program closed, um, for, for various reasons. Was was it always in your mind to try and get back to IndyCar or had you kind of been, you've given up on that and, and the path was gonna be sports cars?
Speaker 1: No, I think I, I love sports cars and, and that's where I probably see, you know, uh, the, the, the future for me. You'll, you'll feel that one day when you get old. You know, I'm gonna be 40 this year, so, uh, I got into the, I go into the season thinking that it may be a last year in single sitter. It may not, uh, depending of things are going, uh, but I always wanted to be back in icar. I think 2024 was, was not fair away. It kind of ended, I think the season was pretty good and just, you know, um, well financially there was, there was, uh, things that were needed to be done and I wasn't part of those. So, uh, 25 I was on the sideline, but, uh, but I wanted to be back, um, just to at least decide when, when I retire from Indica and, um,
Speaker 3: To do it on your terms.
Speaker 1: There you go. Speaker 3: Yeah. So was it, was it, um, this has gotta be the latest announcement that you have had, um, in your career. Like this is what, where two and a half weeks, three weeks before season is starting? Is that true? I had 2010 Formula One. I was told I wasn't going to be racing in Formula One by the 31st of January, 2010 for the 2010 season. So that was a close one with, with being, uh, I dunno, 13th of February. Um, I'm trying to think of any other, but yes, definitively I would say that the, between the last race of the season of a championship and the announcement as the longest as I've had to wait.
Speaker 3: So, but is it something that you kind of knew in your heart that was gonna happen and, and just these pieces had to fall into place? Or, or kind of tell us as much as you can. 'cause Dale is obviously notorious for waiting until kind of the last minute, but like, was it kind of behind closed doors always something that was like, all right, this is gonna get done. We're just lining, lining things up.
Speaker 1: I think we met in Nashville with a very good conversation. Uh, from that point. I felt like there was, there was an opening and then, uh, and then called me, uh, when I was in Vegas for Formula One. So that's sometime in November. And, and he says, are you ready to go racing? I say, always daily. We said, well, let's go racing. So at that point I was like, okay, we're going racing. But then from November to, uh, to February, since February, uh, you know, it's, it's, they just, uh, slowly, slowly catch the monkey.
Speaker 3: Right. Okay. So, um,
Speaker 1: I dunno what that means, but Jackie Stewart told me that on the grid once, and I like using it.
Speaker 3: How much kind of faith did you have in that, or were you like, were you pursuing other options for 2026? Like obviously with your pedigree and, and what you've done, like you're no stranger, you know, I think back to before you came back to Lotus, right? You had a stint, formula one, you went and won championships in sports cars, then you came back to Formula One. So you're no stranger of like taking these gap years and coming back. So was it something that you were considering something else for 26, 26 when you got to Christmas time and there was still no deal?
Speaker 1: If I'm being honest, I was a bit la late to the party, uh, for most of the programs for 26, just because, you know, when you get to Christmas, everyone is, uh, but I had, I was, you know, very happy to do Daytona with Riley Motor Sport, uh, in a GT three. It didn't turn out about to be a good race for us, but, um, that was great and there was some other opportunities here and there. Um, so I wasn't too worried that I was going to do some races. Um, but also last year I realized that the world without racing is not that bad. Um, and there's, there's a lot to do to be done on the side. So it wasn't like I was desperate to go racing. I want to, I'm happy to here. I'm, I'm super excited to go racing, especially, uh, with Dale, I think, you know, I've, I really like him and we've got a great, great relationship. Uh, but it wasn't like when I was, I don't know, oh my God, that's 20 years ago when I was 20 years old that mm-hmm . I just wanted to go racing
Speaker 3: And nothing else mattered. Yeah, no, that, that makes sense. I think you talk to a lot of, of drivers who have gone through that transition and, and they get outta the sport and they're like, wow, there's a whole, there's a whole bright big world out here. Um, okay, so going into 2026, you mentioned that, you know, this is the team that you, you, you started in IndyCar with. Um, so how, how has the team evolved? I mean, obviously we know that there's some partnerships with Todd Alt and Bit Nile, like how different is the team from when you were there in, in 2020? Was that the first
Speaker 1: Year? 21? Yeah, 21. Yeah. I mean, some of the mechanics are still there, which is awesome to see them, you know, a few years later. Uh, back at the same place. Uh, there is new engineers, uh, there is, uh, tail, but I would say it is changed quite a lot. Of course, uh, back in 21 we had, we had a partnership with a, a different, uh, brand, but now it's, it's, as you say, it's, uh, Bmax and total. So, um, I'm excited about that. And, uh, yeah, it's just gonna be, um, it's Dale, so there's a lot that are the same and there's a lot that are different, but, um, we got nice new trailers, which, which is great.
Speaker 3: Look at that. There you go. Yeah. Well, so was Sebring the first time Sebring 2024? The hybrid existed, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah. For second half of the season, yes.
Speaker 3: Right. Okay. So it wasn't the first time, um, were you surprised at, at kind of the evolution of the hybrid from the past year and a half, or not really?
Speaker 1: Um, well, it's better. Yeah. Um, than what it was. I'm, I'm gonna leave it here.
Speaker 3: So on that note, being away from the series right? For a year, you know, when you're in it, I can speak for, for myself, uh, certainly, you know, you, you see the, you see the flaws, you know, it's, it's human nature to focus on the, the negatives and, and the things that we should be doing better and, and all this sort of thing. I'm interested in your perspective when you stepped outside of that box, right? And then you saw IndyCar from a spectator lens, like what, where is your opinion of, you know, where the sport is going and, and the direction of the series? Obviously, you know, the partnership this, this past year with Fox was massive, and, and that's continuing to grow. So what is your viewpoint on the series going forward?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you're right. When, when you jump out and, and you get some time, you know, I come, I came to Long Beach, I miss St. Pete, uh, sadly, but I came to Long Beach, native Indie 500 Detroit. So I saw some of the great races and, and you see how many fans there are. And yes, indica is definitely growing. Fox was amazing. Uh, and it's still amazing for the series. I'm, I'm very excited that, you know, Chevy and Honda both committed to long-term future for Indica. Um, if I didn't love it, I wouldn't be here, right? So, um, the fact that I'm back racing is that I love Indica. Is it perfect? No, but what's perfect in life? So, uh, the idea is that how can we, uh, you know, keep improving it, keep making a better show? I think we've got some great races this year. Um, you know, I think Washington's gonna be fantastic, Arlington's gonna be great, and it's just bringing the IndyCar to the eyes of more and more people. And once you watch a race, you normally watch more than one.
Speaker 3: Oh, a hundred percent. You know, I think that that's the, the biggest challenge that everyone realizes, right? But doesn't quite know how to resolve and fix. But certainly what, what Fox is doing, um, is the best we've ever had. So, as, as we've said many times on the show, we're, we're all very fortunate, um, with that partnership. Okay. So let's talk a little bit outside of, uh, outside of racing for a second. Um, you and I, uh, bonded over airplanes, um, and yeah, and Alex you kind of hinted at this earlier, like you guys didn't necessarily get along that well before the airplanes .
Speaker 1: It's a long story for another day, , it's
Speaker 3: A long story, long story need. We need some beers involved for that one. Um, so no, uh, OMA and I bonded over airplanes at that time. The last time I saw you, you were flying a, uh, a twin engine piston, right? Beachcraft Baron, if I'm not mistaken. Yes. Um, and now you're in something slightly different. So can you elaborate a little bit on, on what that's been like? 'cause there's a lot of listeners on here that, that are into aviation and, and airplanes and, and being pilots. So like, what's it like being a, a small jet owner? Is it everything you had dreamed of and like, has it been as useful as you would've imagined?
Speaker 1: Uh, right. So yes. I, I had a baron, which is an amazing aircraft. Uh, but when you live in Miami and you have to go to Indianapolis very often, that's a six, seven hour trip. Sure. So, um, you know, eventually I, I was lucky that I got the chance to move into a, a beach premier small jet. Uh, I did my type rating, uh, which was super high opening on, you know, what you can learn from that and the simulators and so on. I flew, I don't know, a year and a half visit. I actually sold it end of last year. Uh, so right now I'm plane less, which, um, a bit bit sad, uh, but I'm sure I've got your right seat available sometimes. So I'll, I'll jump and do the, you know, checks for you.
Speaker 3: No, no problem. So, okay, so you, so you don't have it anymore, but what, I'm just curious, like what was the, the biggest transition? Was it just the, the having to think ahead, um, system management? Like what was the hardest thing?
Speaker 1: So, two things that I thought were a lot more challenging is the takeoff, because you are doing 250 knots at 200, 2000 feet and, you know, in between the gears and the Ignite Igniters and the lift dump and the flaps and the, the, your damper and all of that, it goes very under. And the speed management, right? Um, that goes super fast. And then funny enough, you know, you normally get, uh, to get your eighties when I, I fly single pilot, so I'm do my own communication and then I have to listen to the eighties. When you get to a place while the eighties, you don't get it until you're 150 miles out. Sure. But that's 15 minutes in a jet. Mm-hmm . So you're trying to talk to approach center, whatever, descending, checking all your stat and then trying to get the a at the same time. Funny enough, that was one of the most challenging, uh, part of it. Uh, it's just that, yeah, you, you have 250 miles left, but that's, um, that's 25 minutes, so it just flies quickly.
Speaker 3: Right. Um, alright, well that's, uh, that is all I needed to hear, um, to know that I do not need to be flying a jet because, um,
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't want them to hear about maintenance.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, I, I already have heard some of your stories about maintenance and, uh, we'll leave it to the imagination of the listener. Um, all right. So final question I have for you is, is really tell, I'd love to, for you to be able to tell the fans being the most established Formula One driver that we have an indie car. And, and I'm sure you've answered this question many times before, but like, what is, what is the biggest difference between the two? And from a purely driving, we don't care about any of the, the show and, and the glamor. I was gonna say at least a comma, right? Purely the driving and then your favorite and least favorite part of an IndyCar. So kind of three questions in one and we'll, we'll end with that.
Speaker 1: Okay. Uh, I guess the driving, the biggest difference is that's Formula one you focus on not sliding at all, and getting on Throtal very early to get a really good run outta the corners. You have thousand dollars power pushing you. So you, that's where you get the lap time in IndyCar, it's, I think it's a bit different. It's more about the entry speed, the minimum speed, and get on shuttle when you can, uh, and make, you know, make it out of the corner. I would say driving wise, that's the difference. Um, my favorite part of IndyCar is how capable it is to do in the low speed corners on the street course, uh, with the dampers that we have, the grip that we
Speaker 3: Have. Would you say it's more than Formula One then?
Speaker 1: Oh, big time. Okay. A hundred percent. And, and if we take Monaco just the love corner, the Appin and indica would be way faster than Formula One in there. So, uh, least favorite, um, that's a good question, man. Uh, the temperature in the cockpit with the arrow screen. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Fair. Yeah. Uh, okay. I love it. And I lied. I do have one more 2026 Formula One regs, like quick, quick 32nd synopsis. What have you seen? What do you think? Is this good or is it bad?
Speaker 1: Oh, well, um, I think we have to see re one i on the paper. I'm a bit worried, but I think the team would figure it out. I think the beauty of it is gonna change the orders quite a lot and we could see a lot of action in the race. Is it gonna be the action that we want to see? That's the question that we have to wait for the first few races.
Speaker 3: Diplomatic as always, trying to get some, some highlight answer out of you. I can't get it. But anyways, um, thank you so much for coming on. Know you're busy. We will see you out here in Phoenix, uh, tomorrow, and look forward to, to being on track with you, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same here, brother. Uh, thanks for having me and, uh, looking forward to race you all year long.
Speaker 3: No problem, bro. Have a good one. . Hopefully you guys are still friends by the end of the season. , listen, we've overcome enough. We're fine. .
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we've, we've, we've come a long way, so, uh, you should be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Speaker 4: This has been off track with Hinch and Rossi Off Track is part of the Sirius XM Sports Podcast Network. If you enjoyed this episode and want to hear more, please give a five star rating and leave a review. Subscribe today, wherever you stream your podcasts. We are at Ask Off Track on Twitter and Instagram. And if you wanna follow us on Twitter, we're at Hinch Town and at Alexander Rossi. If you wanna follow them though, we have no idea why you would. He's at the Tim Durham on Twitter. Find us on YouTube and subscribe to our channel for exclusive video content. Off Track is produced by Tim Durham, and by that we mean f.