Speaker 1: This is, is off track. Hello and
welcome, Speaker 2: .
Speaker 3: You know what? They deserve it.
Speaker 1: I'd already eaten some this week, so I figured I'd drink something instead. I was so close to ordering Panera though, because somebody in the comments did, uh, harken back to the days of when I would always be eating Panera on the show. On,
Speaker 3: You know what? On the YouTube comments.
Speaker 1: I miss it. Mm, no, I've never looked at those. It was on,
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I didn't think, I didn't think you guys read those.
Speaker 1: No, no. It was a Twitter it a Twitter comment. I barely
Speaker 3: Read those. .
Speaker 1: Is this where we get the most hate about eating?
Speaker 3: This is where it came, uh, last week. There was a lot. And then there were some people who were just like, this is what the show is. Like, just gotta, um, now that he is not here, we can mention we get a lot of hate for Rossi when he like put his mouth right over to the microphone when he
Speaker 1: Does this, or when he goes like this onto a topic and he never know. And then he comes back into here and it's always just, and look guys, we've told him multiple, like so many times not to do that and explain how microphones work.
Speaker 3: And you could vouch for me that when we do tell him he does it more intentionally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Speaker 3: . So it's, it's Usually met with a you, Tim, Speaker 3: And Then he just ignores it and carries right on. Uh, so yeah, we get it, man. We, we guys, we we share your frustrations, but that's what, that's Alex's charm, right?
Speaker 3: We're, we're only right, like seven or eight years into this. We're still new.
Speaker 1: Wait, is this our 400th episode?
Speaker 3: No, Tuesdays was .
Speaker 1: Oh my God. And we didn't even mention it. Oh my God. Rossi wasn't there and we didn't even mention it. Wow. Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Well guys, yeah, you'll notice that it was off track with h or Rossi on Tuesday. It is again, uh, on Thursday, just due to some life circumstances. , which I'm sure you could probably put together. Uh, so we had two quick things. Tuesday was our 400th episode. Tim,
Speaker 3: Can you cheers Sparkling water? Is that good luck? Is that bad luck? I'm gonna do it
Speaker 1: Cheerings with Diet Coke. So Yeah, it's fine. Here's to you, and look, here's really to the listeners guys. Thank you for
Speaker 3: 400 of these Speaker 1: that's so offensive. The thing is, is there's probably one or two people that have listened to all of them. I don't, I I bet there's more. 'cause I've seen a few people on Twitter be like, gonna start from the beginning and go through and they're like, provide updates. And I'm just like, oh, that's, that's
Speaker 1: Rough. Yeah. But they must not realize there's 400 of these things , because at some point you're gonna be like, oh, we're only in 2019. I'm out. I'm gonna just skip ahead to current day and, and present day. Maybe like wouldn't, no, I, oh my God, I can't even believe we've spoken to each other for that much time.
Speaker 3: And I'm listening to like a 17 hour audio book on the Titanic. So it's not like I have high standards for things that need to be interesting. Right.
Speaker 1: Okay. First of all, that is insanely interesting. Second of all, send me the link to whatever book that is. 'cause I not wanna listen to it.
Speaker 3: It, yeah, yeah. Speaker 1: On it. And third of all, I actually feel worse for you because you have to listen to it to edit it. And then you do your last listen. So you've, you've listened to like three times 1200. Yeah. Minimum 1200 episodes worth the stuff. Yeah. Oh, that's just horrific . Oh, I'm so sorry. Because I'm there while we record, unfortunately for
Speaker 1: Everyone. Yeah, that doesn't count. That doesn't count. Um, yeah. , it's not as funny When you make the jokes about yourself, we're supposed to shoot you down. God.
Speaker 3: Well, Alex isn't here. So somebody had That's
Speaker 1: True. It's gotta be two people making fun of Tim on every episode. .
Speaker 3: It's in the contract. Speaker 1: Um, it's, yeah, Sirius did insist on that, weirdly. They were very pushy about it. Very, very firm on that point. Um, so that was the first thing from the Tuesday episode. The second thing from the Tuesday episode, I wanted a little, put a little button on the Indie 500 Montreal. Oh, dammit. If I've gotta watch the move movable bezel and it moves off of exactly in the Middle. Yeah. How would
Speaker 1: I have to, yeah. Um,
Speaker 3: Um, this clock right here is four minutes fast right now, but it's one of those things where it like turns the thing. So I have to push it forward 23 hours and 56 minutes to get it correct.
Speaker 1: No, you just take the battery out for four minutes.
Speaker 3: That makes more sense. Speaker 1: . Although to be fair, in my house, every watch and clock is four minutes to five minutes fast, because that's how I prefer my time pieces to be. I was just wondering if you do that just to trick Becky into being punctual.
Speaker 1: No, no. I just lie to her what time we're leaving.
Speaker 3: Got it. That's smarter. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Um, it's like when you have Brazilian teammates, you have to tell, like if you're like sharing a ride to the track from the hotel in the morning, I had a, I had multiple Brazilian teammates in my junior formula career, and every single one of them, I had to lie by 15 to 30 minutes as to when the call was leaving. We,
Speaker 3: We used to do that to my mom growing up. But like some of us would change the clock to be a little faster. Others would lie about like, when things were, and we realized like we had, it had gone too far. 'cause like at her office was like 20 minutes off. The kitchen clock was like 10 minutes off . Like nothing was consistent.
Speaker 1: Too hard to keep track. Too hard to keep track. We
Speaker 3: All had to come together on a certain thing.
Speaker 1: So. So on the, on the Indie Montreal thing, as if you listen to Tuesday and you should have, if you haven't, please go back and listen and like, and subscribe. Um,
Speaker 3: Get through the other 399 first
Speaker 1: First of course. So, or else what are you even celebrating? Um, we've mentioned multiple times how this isn't a research based show. I've subsequently done a bit of research. It turns out that that's only a next year thing and it will not be on Memorial Day weekend. Well,
Speaker 3: Oh, okay.
Speaker 1: At least for four more years. I guess the way this calendar works and the way they've kind of structured their schedule, they reckon it's gonna happen once every five years. So
Speaker 3: Did they give a reason? That seems weird.
Speaker 1: It does seem weird. Again, I didn't look too far into it. I just read this line and I'm like, oh, okay. I'm slightly less angry now. And it also seems slightly less pointed now. You know, it seems like there might be some weird logistical reason as to it's, you know, as to why. Anyway, I'm less mad. It's one year. We're still gonna smash them on ratings, so whatever. Um, how was your weekend, bud?
Speaker 3: Uh, not bad. I'm trying to think if I did anything. You know what? So like Hazel went with her mom to Boston last week and the week before Hazel was an indie for the Indie 500. So we did nothing sweet. Like we were just, it was sit around the house, played a lot of Fortnite, watched a lot of movies, introduced her to the Truman Show. 'cause I want her to have a little bit of anxiety about that maybe being real for the rest of her life. Like I do. Everybody has that, right? Like you're a little worried. Well,
Speaker 1: So I went through that phase where I was like fully convinced that like someone in my immediate vicinity was true. I, I felt like we were all not in on it, which then kind of like grew into just simulation theory. Okay. So I'm kind of more on the simulation theory bandwagon now more than I am. Like the Truman Show thing. Like you really think you're the star of the show.
Speaker 3: I would watch that show. Speaker 1: Yeah. You are the only one that would find the <inaudible>. You do. Interesting. I've had a weird go. Right. Like you gotta imagine.
Speaker 1: That's fair. You've got a pretty entertaining story. Yeah. You know what, in hindsight, I can't wait to listen to your audiobook .
Speaker 3: Like I, 'cause I was like, well, no, no, you'd have to be super arrogant to think that like millions of people. And then I was like, well, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, Truman just had like a nine to five and lived in a, you know, a suburban sort of Stepford type place and didn't really have a lot going on. You, you had got a couple interesting chapters. Yeah. In the, uh, in the Tale of Tim.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Speaker 1: Yeah. Or they, Well we won't get into those. Tell the statute of limitations go away.
Speaker 1: Can we call it the fail of fi? Can that be the,
Speaker 3: Of your book? No. . No. If if I wrote a book, it would be called, it just kind of happens to
me. Speaker 1: , that's weirdly appropriate for you, . That is a weirdly appropriate for you. Yeah. Title or
Speaker 3: The names I've dropped along the way. That
Speaker 1: Is a great title. It's not a great title for you. You're not as bad at that as you are making yourself out to be
Speaker 3: Really. 'cause I was talking to my friend George Clooney about it the other day, , and he was saying, ,
Speaker 1: Why couldn't you have picked one of your actual celebrity friends? And then that way at least it seeps somewhat plausible. .
Speaker 3: That was funnier. Speaker 1: That was funny. That was very good. God, I hate when you get one. I hate when you really sneak one in there, . I've gotta find a way to steal that joke too. Um, You will. You
Speaker 1: Will. Yeah, I will. I will. I'll be, oh, I heard a really good one that I wanted to steal. Not from you. Oh no, it was, what was it from?
Speaker 3: This is, this is quality, quality content we're making right now.
Speaker 1: No, no, no. I forget what it was, but so the, the, the phrase was like, I wanted to slap the taste outta your, like I was slap the taste outta your mouth. I'm like, oh, that's a good one. I haven't heard that before. I
Speaker 3: Think I've heard that one before. But yeah, it is good. It,
Speaker 1: It may have been in a show or a movie that I, that I heard it.
Speaker 3: All right. Well let's talk about your weekend. 'cause you did actual stuff. You went and hung out with the, the legend himself, Jacques Ville Nove.
Speaker 1: I did. I did. Uh, and many of his friends and, uh, and compatriots. Um, so Jacque's got a, uh, he's one of the owners of this members club racetrack, kind of similar to the thermal club, just like the Canadian version. So it's way poorer. Um, like it doesn't have mansions all around it, but it is actually I way nicer racetrack. The track itself is really, really cool. I did this last year, we talked about it last year, but, um, it was, it was so much fun getting to, I got a few more laps on it this time, uh, in a, in a sporty car. And they did a really good job designing this racetrack. Like if you are a motoring enthusiast and you enjoy doing track days of sorts, I mean, they've got a school there if you wanna do the school thing and just learn to be a better driver, or I'm sure there's track days where you could go and, and bring your car up if you're, if you're that, that in that world. But it's one of the, one of the coolest and kind of most challenging school type tracks and like member type tracks I've ever seen. And you know, Jacques is very like, particular about things if, you know, if you like read the news and you ever hear his quotes. He's very direct and he's very just like, he's got his opinions and that's it. Um, but he's very bright and he's got a lot of good ideas. So anyway, this is his track. He does a big kind of members appreciation weekend, um, with the gm, a guy called Bill. And, uh, and they host this big event for all the members of the club. And we do some cool events and some cool dinners. Meet lots of fun people see lots of cool cars. Uh, we, I got to reconnect with a couple old friends, some fellow Canadian racing types. And uh, it's, it's in this really small town called O Oso in British Columbia. And it's like on this gorgeous lake outside Kelowna, bc which some people may have heard of. We go, I, I always joke that Kelowna's like our Lake Tahoe, right? It's like super nice lake out on the west coast. A lot of big properties, stuff like that. So about two hours from there is, uh, is this place and it's like a really small, like lake community and it's got like one bar. And so the, the kids that I know, like the guys that I know kind of grew up working there and like being instructors and stuff. So they spent a lot of summers there and they took me to like the one bar called the Owl after one of the events one night. And it was one of these things where it was like, we did an event at the track shut down at like midnight or something like that. But it was one of the people that we were with, it was her birthday. And so we're like, ah, we're we're going out. Like clearly not a great idea. But we ended up going out to the one bar, shut that bar down, ended up back at some guy in the property that was staying with us, like staying for the event back in his hotel room and then shut that down at some point still to get up and go like work the next day at the track. But got the full oh Soyuz experience, which involved corn hole that was about five feet apart from each other. I am really good at cornhole when it's five feet apart.
Speaker 3: When it's five feet apart. Yeah. I think everybody is mm-hmm .
Speaker 1: I don't like the way you said that, Tim.
Speaker 3: Uh, good. That was how I intended it.
Speaker 1: Good. Um, and then I had, uh, a bit of a difficult travel leg back.
Speaker 3: Is that, uh, is that what we're using as the excuse for leaving me hanging this morning? Yeah.
Speaker 1: So again, we alluded to this on Tuesday. Why don't you explain to the group what happened?
Speaker 3: Okay. Well, scheduling this show can be tough.
Speaker 1: It's our single biggest challenge.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Because you guys are pretty busy and you travel a lot. And so occasionally that means I get a text that says, Hey, we have to record at eight 30 on Tuesday. Good morning. We always talk in Eastern because we just needed to have like a standard time zone because everybody travels so much. So 8:30 AM is 5:30 AM for me. Mm-hmm . So that was the case this morning.
Speaker 1: Your choice to live, you know, in California, whatever. It's fine. Carry
Speaker 3: On. So, well I'm not allowed in like 48 of those states anymore. So , um,
Speaker 1: Back to the statute of limitations that we need to inspire for you to do the book.
Speaker 3: Um, so went to bed early last night, set an alarm for five 15 to make sure everything was, was good. Got up at five 15 this morning, texted the group just being like, Hey, just confirming we're still on for, you know, eight 30, get a text back from Alex. Hey, it's gonna be about 15 minutes late. Ben's freaking out. Radio silence from James. So go down, feed and walk the dog, do all this stuff. 5 45 rolls around. Alex is saying, Hey, I can't make it. Ben's freaking out too much. I need to, you know, and I know you have, I had a heart out at 6:30 AM because I had to wake my daughter up. Uh, nothing from James. So James just, uh, just never responds. And I think to myself, well he's been traveling so he's probably just overslept and we'll figure it out. Right about an hour later I'm driving Hazel to school and I get a text from Becky James' wife who we like more than James saying, uh, Hey, did James make the podcast this morning? I was like, funny, you should mention it. He sure didn't . He's like, well I can't get ahold of him. So, so now I'm worried, right, , because like, I'm like, well it wasn't me that hit the gas like that one time he was on Dancing with the Stars and I almost killed him. So at least I'm not like culpable on this one, but like, did something happen? So I'm texting Alex, I'm like, I think you're gonna need to swing by James's place. Or I'm like, te I was getting ready to call my stepdad and be like, Hey, I need you to go to
Speaker 1: to go Speaker 3: Make sure James is okay. When Speaker 3: Sure enough she gets ahold of you and you end up being fine. So what happened on your end that you overslept by how many hours? Right. So a couple things. First of all, uh, if for future emergencies where you need to get me, Bobby does live closest to me of our immediate friends. Got it. Got it. Okay. Um, and then, uh, second. Yeah, I just want touch back on the time when you did almost try to kill me by turning on the gas accidentally on the
Speaker 3: Stove in apartment. We dunno know it was me. It could have been you that bumped into it.
Speaker 1: Very, very sure it was you. Anyway, . Um, so you see what had happened was I was flying. So again, as I mentioned, we had had a late night the night before. Um, and then I was flying home. So this would be Monday morning out of Penticton, British Columbia. Very small airport.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We all know that one. Yeah, of course. Everybody here knows that. Yeah,
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Big tourist destination and well that actually is, but the airport's quite small. So the, my flight path was Penticton to Calgary, Calgary to Minneapolis. Minneapolis to Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: I feel like Minneapolis was the first real place you mentioned there. Like you may as well have been like, well, I went from Narnia to Hogwarts and then Hogwarts to Minneapolis. ,
Speaker 1: I mean Calgary's kind of a town. Sure. Um, uh, so
Speaker 3: Is that near Riverdale where they did the council
Speaker 1: Elron you, I hate you so much. Hate you so much. I mean, my defense, I'd rather be living in Calgary right now than where you are based on the happenings outside your window right now. It
Speaker 3: Has not been that bad.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Um, so, so we, I had, I had a delay getting, I had a plan, right guys, this is a travel podcast 'cause we're all expert travelers and I had a plan on when to eat and where I was gonna go and all the stuff. And like I planned it all out. I had my day mapped out. So first plane was a little bit delayed and that meant I had planned on eating in Calgary on the first layover. So the plane was delayed. And then I flew into Calgary and 'cause I was on like a super small plane out of a super small place and I was now going international. I had literally crossed the entire airport, which despite what you think, Tim is a big enough city to have a pretty big airport. So I had to cross the entire thing. And I then had to leave the airport, come back in, recheck in, go through US customs, et cetera, et cetera. So I needed to do all that before I could contemplate eating. And then by the time the plane landed late, I walked, you know, three kilometers,
Speaker 3: Miles that you, you, you know what I'm thinking? Yeah. It's 1.8, two three something miles. Something
Speaker 1: Like that. Anyway, sorry.
Speaker 3: 1.875 miles.
Speaker 1: There you go. So then, and then I had to leave. I had to clear guys, I had to go through back, back to security Canada. Canada needs to grow <inaudible> up when it comes to airport security. It's just, okay, it needs to step up. I for the first time in, I don't know how long I get that they don't have TSA pre they should, there needs to be some equivalent of that. But even without that, I had to take off not just my shoes, my belt, my watch. I had to empty every liquid in my toilet cheese bag into a little plastic bag. I know they do that in like England and stuff. But even for just like normal security, when I fly, you know, if you fly domestically in the US yeah you take your shoes off, maybe your belt's gotta come off. I've never taken a watch off going through a metal detector in my life. And anyway, it was just the most annoying and long-winded process. Get back through that, go through customs. There's not quite enough time to, to get food. So now I'm like, damn it, all right, I'm gonna get a go get like a bar or whatever from the convenience store, the Hudson or whatever, whatever the equivalent is. And then we'll get on the plane and I'll eat Minneapolis. Well then my Minneapolis flights started getting delayed. Now it was that annoying, like being delayed in kind of like 15 minute increments so you could never leave.
Speaker 3: The worst. The worst. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But by the time we boarded the plane, I would've had so much time to have gone and had an actual meal in Calgary, which I was not able to do 'cause I was never able to leave the thing. So then I get on the plane, I have a snack on the plane, but now we're so delayed going to Minneapolis that I'm like, don't
Speaker 3: Have time to eat. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Starting to lose my ability to have time to eat. And I'll be honest with you Tim, I was getting hangry, which is
Speaker 3: Also a shame 'cause I love the Minneapolis
Speaker 1: Airport. Lemme get, lemme get there. So we get there and we've talked about our love of Minneapolis St. Paul Airport. So I get there and it's like on the edge of enough time to eat, but now I've just smashed so many snacks 'cause I was so hungry and getting really cranky that like I can't quite tell how hungry I am or whatever. So I get to Minneapolis and decide to go get something to eat, but it wasn't like a proper meal because I wasn't sure how much time I had and I'd had enough snacks. I was like, I just need something to get me through this next flight. Which was then also delayed and delayed and delayed. And so the good news is if you're gonna get trapped in an airport, MSP is one I'm very happy getting trapped in for a little bit of time. But still it was when you have a day where you're doing three flights anyway, which is already a little bit outside the norm. So what, so what to have delays on all three flights and extended layovers essentially. Well I guess they weren't extended 'cause they were shortened on the front end, but then also lengthened on the back end. They probably were actually the exact amount of time I was supposed to be at each airport. Just in a way that made it kind of unmanageable. It reminded me. So I'm gonna have a little first world vent here. You you fly business class fairly often, right Jim?
Speaker 3: I get, I get some upgrades more than I should. Yeah. Yeah. Right.
Speaker 1: And you know, sometimes, especially on those long flights, like from LA to Indianapolis for example, there's a meal. Yeah. Right? Yeah. And look, those planes usually have like four or five rows of business classes. It's not like a ton of people. Right. Like it's whatever. Yeah. Yeah. Have you ever been in like row four or five and they start coming down and offering you the options and then by the time they get to you,
Speaker 3: They're out of the options and you're they're out one of whatever the terrible Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You're stuck with the vegetarian option.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That Speaker 1: Yeah. So, so thi this happened when I was really hangry on one of these flights, this happened. What'd you get stuck with? Speaker 1: Well, this is, so first of all, they only had two options, which is fine. Like only two options. Again, guys, please, please keep this in a relative frame of mind here. Right. I'm not, I'm not bitching an absolution, I'm bitching in a very concentrated thing here. So the options were a chicken sandwich or a vegetarian sandwich, which is a very open-ended description. And I'm, I'm hangry. I just cannot wait to eat something. And they get to us and I, and I'm in the last row and they get to our row and like they start on the other side of the plane and they have options. And then when they get to me and the guy's sitting next to me, no more options. It is just a vegetarian sandwich. And I was just like, yeah, cool. Sounds good. And then in my head I'm like, okay, the cost of running an airplane At at least $12 a flight,
Speaker 1: It's, it's, I'm gonna guess that the bottom line on a flight from Minneapolis to Indianapolis or from Calgary rather to Minneapolis. Um, that having an extra two, 'cause I'm pretty sure everybody took the chicken sandwich. Mm-hmm . So the added cost of having enough of the main meal for everyone to choose cannot be a, a bank breaking number. Right. I looked it up. Vegetarianism. 6% of the population in the United States is vegetarian. Now, let's say, I
Speaker 3: Don't know if that feels low or high.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I just, I couldn't guess. I I was trying to figure out the percentages in this cabin and how they did their math and landed on the numbers. They did and I looked it up and this is what I was told. It was like six ish percent now fine, 6% are vegetarian and I'll even give you a couple extra. 'cause sometimes people who aren't, aren't vegetarian just don't feel like eating meat at a given meal. Like he does that sometimes. Cool. Let's bump it all the way up to 10. Let's give you guys like an insane percentage more than you already have. It still doesn't add up. You should have enough food. You should only have 10% vegetarian meals if that's the population that eats vegetarian Also for the number of seed we're talking, just have enough chicken sandwiches for everybody. Just do that. Do we not do that? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Feels Speaker 1: Fair. Is that an unreasonable thing? Yeah, I Speaker 1: Got nothing. I don't wanna a rabbit at food sandwich. You know, You yeah, yeah. The vegetarian sandwich, the food your food eats to, to paraphrase Ron Swanson. So basically
Speaker 1: Now I just have to make sure everybody has to just make sure you're like sitting in row two so that way you can never get busted. Because it happens, you know, it happens when you're flying, you know, across the Atlantic to England and you're in row 37 and they come back and it's chicken, beef or pasta. And by the time they get back to row 37, the route of the pasta and you're stuck with chicken or beef. Like it's, I've had that before. This is not a business class thing. This is a plain thing. Whoever's in the back third of the, of the cabin, whatever cabin you're in, you're getting hosed on meal choices. And I don't respect that.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I want it known despite all of these very good but first world problem issues. I'm still going to title this episode. James ruins everything. I'm
Speaker 1: Not, I'm not entirely sure how we landed there.
Speaker 3: Well you didn't have to wake up at five 15 for no reason, did you?
Speaker 1: No, but you didn't wake up at five 15 for me.
Speaker 3: Woke up for both of you. But I can't blame Ben. Well
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it but Alex set the original time. Yeah,
Speaker 3: But I can't blame Ben. Alex was off
Speaker 1: And, and because Alex also didn't make it. Whether I made it to the show or not was actually irrelevant. Oh my god. I know. We never even, we never even got to this part . I part too busy, busy bitching about food about why I slept in.
Speaker 3: Oh right. Speaker 1: So we keep getting delayed. So I ended up getting home at like one 30 or whatever, tried to go to bed, set my alarm for eight, I think maybe I was pretty tired and woke up at seven 'cause I always wake up at seven. Doesn't matter what time zone I'm in, I wake up at seven and it was light out and it was, I'm like, ah, I need this extra hours. I got home late, I'm really tired. Put my, I mask on, put sleep sounds on, went back to sleep. Becky has us on this kick of turning our phones to airplane mode when we sleep. And so I had done that and 'cause you know, like if you call a, A couple times, I wanna clarify why, why is it on, why? Oh
Speaker 1: Because I don't know, like radio signals next to your brain. Got it on your bedside table. Got it. Yeah. She's ignoring the fact that there's wifi throughout the whole
Speaker 3: World. And and when you put it on that, do you get rid of the Bluetooth? Do you turn Bluetooth off?
Speaker 1: No, WiFi's on Bluetooth's on everything
Speaker 3: Else on, got it, got it. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I guess it's got an Alexa in there
Speaker 1: Right next to the phone there's an Alexa. Yep, yep,
Speaker 3: Yep. With both Bluetooth and wifi capable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Obviously. And then, and then the light bulbs in the lamps on both. Oh
Speaker 3: Yeah, the wifi.
Speaker 1: Those, those are, those are Bluetooth hooked up to Alexa
Speaker 3: As well. Mine too. Mine too, by the way. I'm not judging those.
Speaker 1: No, no, yes, no. Yes. Yeah, . Uh, so, so I had it on so, 'cause you know if you call like three times in a row or something, even if it's on silent, it'll ring. Yeah. Well not if the cell service not airplane mode
Speaker 3: Is disconnected Speaker 1: Mode. Yeah, right. . So I'm on airplane mode and so I at, at about 10 something I just, I'm sleeping and I, my brain clocks that the rain sound on my phone stopped. And so I'm like, why did that happen? And so I reach over to grab my phone and it's Becky FaceTiming me and I look at the clock and it's like 10 20 or something. Oh boy. Because not only did I now completely blow through the show, uh, I was also supposed to have already picked up Sully who was being watched by our friends, Brian and Katie all weekend. So I had told Brian I was gonna be there at like 10. It was now 10 30. He was, he had to leave for a golf game. I had not left them enough food for Sally to have breakfast 'cause I was gonna be picking 'em up first thing in the morning. So now my poor dog has been not fed breakfast. Brian's late for his golf game. I am just, I just feel terrible, you know, like you wake up with that panic. It's The worst. You disappointed so many people, so
Speaker 1: Many people so Speaker 3: Early in the day. He's incredible. Like Speaker 3: Incredible. Yeah. Well, um, glad you're not dead, I guess same. I mean, kind of. I'll meet you next time. , we . So we had this group chat going with Brian and Katie who are watching Sully 'cause they've got a dog, Arthur and these two are just like best friends and they just play all day and whatever. And so we were just getting all these constant updates and pictures and stuff. And Katie kept sending us these pictures of like Sully cuddling her in bed. And Sully never does that like with us. Like Becky's trying so hard to get him to be a snuggler. And he is just like, he'll go to like your feet, but he won't like come. And like Weller used to just like lay on top of you, which is like a teddy bear. And so she, she's like sending all these pictures and Becky's like, oh my God, he doesn't snuggle us like that. What's going on? Blah, blah, blah, blah. And then, and then, uh, Katie's like, yeah, we're heading to bed early, just getting ready for that 5:00 AM wake up. And Becky and I were like, oh my God, he's not waking you up at 5:00 AM is he? And she's like, no, no. But sometimes he'll like, get up and he'll come up to the side of the bed and like, nudge you a little bit or just look at you and then, you know, whatever. And Becky was like, oh yeah, when he does that, just yell at him to go back to his bed. I mean, I throw pillows at him sometimes and I was just like, gee, that he doesn't love calling
Speaker 3: You . Yeah, .
Speaker 1: So I thi I feel like there might be, it is if
Speaker 3: You get, if you get a taser and you sleep with it on the bedside table, but no wifi. Um,
Speaker 1: I don't wear belts, but I mean I keep 'em beside the bed just so that I can, you know, when he is really acting up. And by that I mean looking at you adorable with these big brown eyes. Just wanting to say hi. So yeah, I think there's gonna be a new strategy, uh, moving forward.
Speaker 3: Well, solid excuse. I promise I won't name this episode. James ruins everything. Just
Speaker 1: James ruins some things.
Speaker 3: No, it's gonna be James ruins everything. Oh,
Speaker 1: God dammit.
Speaker 3: dude. Uh, all right, well in the, I don't know, eight minutes we have left. Should we talk about the race this weekend?
Speaker 1: Uh, sure we can do that. Uh, we're going back to Gateway, uh, last year at Gateway did not end super well for old Alejandro, so he's gonna be hoping for a bit of a, a stronger run. It's a place that, like, we have a few guys that just are random, not randomly, but like a few guys perform exceptionally well there. The obvious one is Joseph, he's won it five times, including last year after spinning off of two and still winning the race. Um, David Lucas, he got podiums there in, uh, two years with Dale Coin and was fighting for the lead essentially last year when he and Will had some contact and he ended up crashing out. Connor always runs really well there. Um, McLaughlin runs really well there. Uh, he's actually got the highest average finish of drivers with at least four starts, which is funny considering Joseph's one, like five of nine. But he is obviously had some DNFs or something to bring that average down. So yeah, those are, you know, if you're a, if you're a gambling man or woman, uh, Joseph's a good bet. Uh, Connor's a good bet. McLaughlin's a good bet. Lucas is a good bet. I think Rossi's gonna have a good one. So Rossi's a good bet. So's your five. Make sure you get your grid rival, uh, fantasy lineup set and ready to
Speaker 3: Go. Oh yeah. Are you winning on that?
Speaker 1: So I was winning the Fox one, the Fox team thing after Indie, well, Sunday after Indie, I was winning the Fox one. By Monday I was no longer winning because the results were adjusted for the adjustment in the actual results of the race. So that, uh, that hurt me in that one. Okay. Um, so bummed about that in my, in the Hinch town hammer down league, I've moved up. I I actually am doing not terrible. I'm like a hundred and 50th out of like a couple. Let's see, let's see where we're at. Hang on. Did you, did you do one? Yeah, I'm 130 second, 130 second out of 1800, which isn't bad 'cause one week I forgot to set my, my line up. But I'm, I'm still, I'm, I'm, I'm confident about, uh, about the Fox one. I'm gonna rally, I'm gonna rally a comeback on that. Um, but yeah, night race, which I'm excited about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'll be great. I'm, I, I always love night races and I'm so glad to see one pack on the schedule. I, I missed Phoenix when it was dark. That was always fun. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't, 'cause it was a bad race, but it was fun doing night races.
Speaker 3: It was, it was fun to be there and it looked, just looked so cool. Uh,
Speaker 1: I was a night race at a time. That was always fun. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, what do you think it is about this track that suits, like I know Newgarden, yeah, new garden's always good with ovals, so it kinda makes sense, but he seems particularly good at the short ovals. What, what is it about that that suits him and suits Connor and that kind of thing? Well,
Speaker 1: I, I think, I think Joseph's just good at short ovals because there are a few things about short ovals that are universal and you sort of need to have to be good at any of 'em. Milwaukee, Iowa Gateway, Phoenix, whatever. But I think why you see a few more guys stand out at Gateway specifically is Gateway is a lot kind of like Phoenix was in the sense that one end of the racetrack is so different from the other Milwaukee. It's not that different. Iowa, it's not that different. Even when we raced at places like Loudoun, not that different, but Phoenix again, Phoenix is always a bad race, but Phoenix and and Gateway are similar in that. Like one and two are a completely different radius, different speed, different banking than three and four and you set up the car for one end, it's gonna feel terrible at the other and vice versa. So it's really the driver and the team that get the car kind of the most okay-ish or at least are more comfortable with a less comfortable balance at one end of the track or the other. Right? So if you don't mind being a little bit free in three and four, if you're comfortable with that, then you're gonna have less under steer in one and two and be stronger there. Or if again, you need a planted in three and four, but you're comfortable maybe going a little bit higher in one and two in traffic to get some clean air and dial out some of that under steer, then you're gonna be, you know, you're gonna be quick there. So I think it's something about the, the drivers that are comfortable having those kind of different balances. Um, and you know, again, what we're doing this weekend, which we did last year to such success and I give IndyCar so much credit for it as we're doing that Highline session again. So everybody's gotta go run around in that second lane. 'cause it, it made the race so much better last year. And uh, and yeah, now we're doing it again proper, uh, proper nighttime race. 8:00 PM is the start time. 8:00 PM Al Fox.
Speaker 3: Okay. Speaker 1: Will be, it'll be Eastern time by the way. I kind of, I kind of hope, uh, you know, I obviously want Alex to win everything, but if he doesn't, I kind of hope Scotty Mack wins. 'cause I want a new dad to win on Father's Day.
Speaker 1: Oh, there you go. Oh, it's father. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. New dad to win on Father's Day. Fellow girl Dad. Yeah. I found again, he's got the best finishing average, uh, of people there. So, dude, there was this stat though, I'm gonna bring this back up to Alex next time he decides to join us for the show, but
Speaker 3: September probably Speaker 1: Let's not, I don't wanna get ahead of ourselves. We don't know When Ben goes to college, when Ben
Speaker 1: Goes . There was a, it was brought up how, how Scotty Max got a great finishing average for at least three starts at Gateway, or at least four starts, I think. So in four starts, 3.5 is his finishing average. So then our stats guru, Russ Thompson decided to look at all the tracks where drivers had strong averages and of at least three starts in the top eight examples where a driver's got a high finishing average with at least three starts at a track. Alex Pallo is five of them.
Speaker 3: four starts. So we're just gonna go back, we're just going back below. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Four. You can't have a week on an IndyCar ish podcast and not talk about four starts.
Speaker 3: I I meant the race, not us .
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, that's fair. He's probably gonna win this one. So, uh, in four starts at Portland, his average finish is fourth in three starts at Toronto. His average finish is fourth in five, starts at Long Beach. His average finish is 3.4 in five starts at Barber. His average finish is 2.8. And in four starts at Laguna. His average finish is 1.75.
Speaker 3: Checks out Speaker 1: Ridiculous. Yeah. Speaker 1: Other one's on the list. Colton Herda at Toronto, 3.25 McLaughlin at Gateway 3.5 and Kirkwood at the new Detroit Street Track 3.67. So Alex Poe also a good bet for this weekend if that's what you're into. Eh, I don't know. Does he ever win?
Speaker 1: Nah. Um, also something happened, I don't even remember what it was. Something happened last week after the race or something, I don't know. But somebody did some like obnoxious tweet and tagged a bunch of drivers in it. And we've talked about this before. It lit up a whole fan group. And I don't think, I don't even think he was attacking the drivers. I think it was just like one of these, he wanted to be heard or something. And so the fan, like all these fans started going at him and he started fighting back. And so it was like three or four people just having this constant back and forth on Twitter about this one thing. And they have completely po Please un us, please stop doing that. don't, if you're gonna, if you're gonna go back and forth, I don't, we don't care. I promise you. We don't care. And it just makes, it just makes people angry. If you're, if you're, that's, that's not just us, that's anybody. If you are bad at a person in a Twitter exchange, just respond to that one person. Let's not
Speaker 3: Try anyone else. I mean, they tagged you. I'm gonna look up whatever this was. They
Speaker 1: Tagged me. I don't remember who else was in it. This was maybe, yeah, it was after the race last week.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't care enough. I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: I'm also not gonna go back and
Speaker 3: Do it all. Well, thanks for finally getting up to do this. Yeah. Today.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I figured it was Speaker 3: Worthwhile. We should have changed shirts. I did think about that afterwards, but then I also don't care
Speaker 3: That much. That's fair. I am, I am in pajamas still.
Speaker 1: See you have no excuse. It is two o'clock in the afternoon there. This is, I work from home. Yeah. But I feel like you work how you dress, which is why this was a sloppy episode from both of us. , thanks for tuning in to episode 401 of Off Track with Hinch and Rossi. This has been off track with Hinch and Rossi Off Offtrack is part of the SiriusXM Sports Podcast network. If you enjoyed this episode and want to hear more, please give a five star rating and leave a review. Subscribe today, wherever you stream your podcasts. We are at Ask Offtrack on Twitter and Instagram. And if you wanna follow us on Twitter, Andre at hi town and at Alexander Rossi. If you wanna follow them though, we have no idea why you would. He's at the Tim Durham on Twitter. Find us on YouTube and subscribe to our channel for exclusive video content. Off Track is produced by Tim Durham, and by that we mean Fi.