Speaker 1: This is, is off track. Yes, please mute your mic, and if you could find a way to lose the unmute button, that would be helpful. Guys. Welcome to Off Track with hch. I was talking to Tim, of course. Uh, welcome to Offtrack with Hinch and Ro.
Speaker 2: Oh, no. Did somebody mute James's mic? Man?
Speaker 3: What a travesty. What happened?
Speaker 1: He just muted me because he runs the show and he's being childish.
Speaker 3: What a, what a piece of shit. Like, look at, look at
this. Speaker 4: .
Speaker 1: He muted you. Speaker 4: Oh, no. Oh, no. in a rare instance. Oh my God. Tim, mute yours. . I already guys, I'm sorry that you even tuned into this episode. Oh, uh, anyway, it's Tuesday. We're here. We're here with a, a guest, a wonderful guest, uh, Christian Rasmussen has joined us this week. Christian, hello. And thanks for joining. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Hello. Thanks for having me. This
Speaker 3: Has been a, this has been a long time coming. I actually, uh, I thought you'd already been on the show. Um, and we were talking about it a couple, a couple events ago and mm-hmm . In passing. He was like, I've never been on. I was like, yeah, you have. And then the me, Tim, and James kind of thought, thought about it and we were like, oh, he hasn't. So then, um, we tried to get you on after Portland, but you were busy and stuff, and then Milwaukee happened. So we've got a lot, we've got a lot to talk about.
Speaker 4: It's a great, great, great time to do it.
Speaker 1: It was great timing, but I don't wanna start there because tragically, as we've just established, you've not been on the show before. And Christian, um, I imagine you don't listen to the show, nor should you, but, um, an alarming amount of people do. And we've got a very, very wide ranging and eclectic listener base on this show, some of whom got into racing because of the podcast, which makes, I still don't understand how that path happens, but it's true. Mm-hmm . So that means that there's some people that probably don't know a ton about Christian and how he got to where he is. So I wanna just go back in time a little bit, talk about the young kid growing up in Copenhagen and how you ended up, the, the thing for me that's always interesting is how drivers from Europe make the decision to come and try to chase the dream here in North America, which you, one of the guys that made that transition very early made that decision very early to kind of come the indie car route. So just tell us a little bit about your upbringing, how you got into the sport, and what ultimately led you to coming across to North America.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Uh, like, like you said, um, from Copenhagen, Denmark, um, grew up karting, uh, started go-karting when I was five years old. Did, uh, 10 years of carting. 2015 was my last year of carting. Won the, the Danish Championship, the Northern European Championship. And there took the, the decision of, of going into cars, did, uh, formula Ford in Denmark, that Formula four in, in Denmark as well. And then after that second season in, in, uh, running cars in Denmark, we were kind of at a little bit of a crossroads, because then, okay, what do, what do you do? Do you take the European route, go towards F1, try and do that? Or, um, or, or do you figure out something else? Uh, for us, um, I'm out of a very normal family. My mom's a, a hairdresser. My dad owns a, a, a small car dealership. So we would never really have the, the money to, to go racing in Europe, really. Um, like we had some, we had a good invest investor partner in, in Denmark, so we could probably have gotten through, like at German F four, which was the, the biggest F four back back at that time, or Italian F four or whatever. But then you look a couple years down the road and you're like, well, what's the next step? Then you would go FIAF three, which that's, at that time it was already at like over a million, million euros. So there was no way we could go do that. Um, so therefore we, we started looking at other options where we saw the, the US as a great opportunity to, um, to kind of go up through the ranks without having to, to, to bring a full budget each year. So the first thing we got to was, was F four, because we, we saw there was a, a scholarship to move on to F three. So we thought that was great. Um, so we did a year of F four with, uh, j Howard driver development. Um, but then being, uh, a year in the US you quickly realized that the road to Indy is, is the place to be, uh, moved over, um, with j Howard as well, uh, to, to USF 2020 19. Came back in 2020, won the championship, moved on to Indy Pro, 2000, still with Jay, um, won that championship in, uh, 2021. Um, and then got the scholarship to move into Indy next with, uh, Andretti. Had a dreadful year, um, horrible year. Um, but, uh, then, um, got back into Indy next for 2023, won that championship and then, uh, got me into IndyCar. So
Speaker 3: You talk about, you talk about your journey over here and, and budget was the, the kind of the roadblock to continuing in Europe. Um, did you grow up really watching much IndyCar racing or, or any racing the states? Did you know much about it? Not
Speaker 4: At all. Not at all. Okay. Um, no, uh, no. I grew up watching Formula One with, with my dad, um, and I think had a very little recognition, recognition recollection of what IndyCar was. Um, you know, I think I really started to, to grow my appreciation for it once I, I got to the States and learned what it was really all about. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just, I, I love that you are that kind of quintessential story, right? Of, of proof that the road to indie works, that when you reward success, like this is what happens. You, you won F 2000, you won Pro 2000, you won Indy. Next you get an IndyCar ride, and you're now an IndyCar race winner. I mean, this is, this is what this is all about, and this is why we start to see this influx of European drivers coming, coming over. But I just, I love the fact that you committed to it early and, and you're kind of reaping the rewards for it. Um, but so on that note, though, indie Next is not cheap and year one with Andretti, you, you were able to do it off the, the funding from winning the Pro 2000 Championship. What, what funding did you find? How did you ke stay in the car for that second year? Because that's the big, that's the big scare, right? Like, as a young driver, the kind of conventional wisdom is two years in a championship a year to kinda learn the cars and the tracks, and then a year to go for the championship. But with the way the system works, you kind of have to just rip off championship after championship to keep moving at the highest, most expensive level. You have a bad year. How'd you get back in the car?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm, I'm, I'm glad you brought that up, uh, because that was, that was definitely not easy. Uh, you know, I came all the way from, from USF 2000, which is basically entry level, uh, open wheel all the way up into Indy next, which is the level right below IndyCar all of a sudden. So it's, it's obviously a big, big budget gap that needs to, to get the, get close there. Um, I have my, uh, I had my longtime investor, uh, back home from Denmark. He's given me about 200 grand a year. Um, and that's been his commitment since really the start pretty much, uh, coming to, to the us. Um, that's all he could, he could, he could give. And, and we've been very lucky with that. So that's, that's what we started with growing into Indy. Next.
Speaker 1: I say it's just, it's just to give people the reference. And Indy next budget in 2023 is 1,000,002.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. Speaker 1: Okay. So, so you're a million, you need, you need about a million bucks more. Yes. And so we go in with, uh, with, with our money and our, I mean, we know that we don we don't have enough. Uh, we were kind of getting to a point where we had to commit to it because HMD Motorsports had to otherwise fill up the seat, have some time to do that. So there was a couple deadlines, uh, over the course of the year that had to be met. Um, one of them was to, to sign, uh, which was the, the 200 grand. Then we got to, I remember, 'cause it was around Daytona time, um, I was down in Florida. The next, uh, next timeline had to be met. That was the, the signing of the, the engine lease. Um, because otherwise you would have to, to rent engines for each of the races instead of the full year, which was way more expensive. Right. Um, so, uh, last minute we, uh, through, um, through also another investor that I've met on, on the state side, um, was committed to, to getting me through that next, next paycheck. Uh, we were down to less than 24 hours away from having to sign the lease before we, we got that inflection of, of money to, to continue racing. So that got me to start, uh, we got a little bit further in. Um, and again, we are, we're, we're outta money , you know, we are, we've used up everything. We paid everything. Um, but there's, there's nothing left. Um, so I think it was, I think it was around St. Louis, or no, I think it was mid Ohio first, um, where again, we got a timeline and you say it was a Wednesday and the Tuesday before we, we didn't have the money to, to do it. Um, and then again, exercising my, my relationships around, uh, my investors on both the US side, the Danish side, everyone kind of came together, uh, got me to, got me through that next, uh, next timeline. Um, also less than 24 hours away from, from, again, losing the ride because we couldn't afford it. Um, and that happened, uh, one more time. Um, again, through a great network of people, uh, we were able to, to get over the line. Um, but, but yeah, three times that year, we were less than 24 hours away from, from losing the ride because we, we couldn't afford it. Um, so a lot of, uh, a lot of sleepless nights that year. Um, not only trying to manage, uh, a championship, winning a championship, which we didn't take the charge off right off the bat, um, but , yeah. So having to, to manage that, uh, getting the money and, and still going out and, and winning a championship was, uh, was not easy.
Speaker 3: I, I think, I think that that deserves so much credit because I, everyone can relate to, you know, financial burdens at, at some point or another in their life. And, and the stress and, and the pressure that that causes just, it's not a fun, a fun experience. Right. And then also, a lot of people can relate to the pressure of, of performing for your job, whether that's, you know, a, a desk job and, and you have to, to meet a, a benchmark of, of criteria, or that's a sports job, or, or you've been on a sports team and, and you know, the elements that go into that. You combine those two things and still being able to deliver in the way that you did, knowing that this is kind of your, this is your last shot, right? Like this is, you've very much, so you've pieced all of these things together, and it's, it's within hours of it ending. And you know that even despite all that, you have to, you have to make it count because otherwise the, the whole thing was for nothing. Um, you mentioned Daytona. I, I want to hear about kind of, that must have been, uh, a big confidence boost, not only for yourself, but for the people supporting you. So if you wanna walk, um, our listeners through that and, and your experience in 2023 in, in Daytona. Yeah.
Speaker 4: 2023 in Daytona was, uh, was, uh, no, it was actually, it was 2024 that we, that we wanted 2023. Okay. Um, I got our end of 2022 when I was with Andrei. I got signed by a motorsports to do the endurance cup in the LMP two class, uh, for, for 2023. So alongside doing my in the next and trying to afford that in 2023, what I was living off of, uh, paying my rent and my food and whatever was what I made on the, the l and p two side. So that actually worked out pretty good. Um, but, uh, yeah, so I did the, the Daytona with them, started the year, did the whole endurance rounds with, with them. Um, I guess they were, were, were sort of impressed with, with me, uh, which got me, uh, signed for Daytona that, that next year again with, uh, with a motorsport. I got bumped from being a silver driver to a gold driver, uh, after my, my 2023 run with them. Um, so obviously couldn't be in that silver, silver driver anymore. So I lost my all the other endurance rounds, because still they do, they tone as the, as the force driver. Um, but, uh, yeah, came in with that group, obviously know a lot of them very well through, uh, through the year before. Um, and went in with, uh, with Conich, uh, Ryan DL and, um, Dwight Merriman, uh, the Bronx. And, uh, and one day John. Um, it was, it was cool. It was also a cool way for me to do it because I got a ton of drive time. Uh, I was, uh, one of the faster drivers on the trek. I think I ended, uh, some of the listeners probably know the B pillar. I was the, the quickest car on the B pillar , uh, after, or the quickest driver on the B pillar after the race. Um, and got to, to finish the race out, I think I did six out of the last eight stints, um, . So I did a, a triple and then out for a double and then a triple again at the end. Um, so I got a lot of driving, got to really set my mark on it. Uh, got to, to, uh, fight a little bit with, uh, uh, fellow Dane, um, at the end with, uh, in Melty Jacobson, um, to, uh, to, to get over the finish. But once that last restart was done, fought him off, and then, uh, came over the line and, and got a nice little watch out of it. And
Speaker 1: Do you wear your watch or is it a trophy that sits on a shelf somewhere?
Speaker 4: It's actually, uh, it sits not on a shelf. Um, I don't wear it much. I wear it sometimes if we're going out to, for a nice dinner or something, but I've, you can probably count on two hands the, the, the amount of times that I'll worn it. Um, but no, it sits, uh, it sits in my closet, uh, most of the time and, um, lifts there.
Speaker 3: So that's your, that's your career. Um, through, through the beginning of 2024. Um, you start off 2024 as a Daytona 24 hour winner with a Rolex, uh, pretty sick, big departure from scraping by on a Tuesday, trying to meet a Wednesday deadline. Yeah. You are an IndyCar driver for Ed Carpenter racing. Um, not doing an at at the time when this, um, when you signed with the team, you weren't doing any of the ovals except for the 500. Um, which has kind of been, been very much the, the status quo for ECR for a lot of years. You know, the 21 car, um, was the full-time driver. And, and that had been reus for, for a while. And then the 20 car was split amongst usually a, a young driver or a driver from Europe, um, who would do the road and street courses, and then Ed, uh, would do the ovals. So you got the nod, um, to do that. You obviously showed a lot of promise in 2024. That car had a lot of bad luck and had some struggles, so you got bumped up, um, to do the ovals after what I was told was a very impressive test. Little did we know, but it was a very impressive test at Gateway. Um, and you actually were put in the car for the last two oval race, well, three oval races, two events of the season. And I just want to talk about that, um, experience, because I think what you have accomplished on ovals this year, um, is, is nothing short of exceptional. So did you know right off the bat in 2024 that that really fit into your comfort level, your driving style, and you knew you could be competitive? Right, right from the beginning?
Speaker 4: I don't, I'm, I'm always very realistic about my expectations. So going in and saying that I knew I was gonna be, be competitive, I, I wouldn't say that was the way it went. Uh, on the other hand, was I confident to know that I would do an okay job. Yeah, I would say that. Um, I, I've had pretty good runs on, on ovals my whole career, uh, since 2019 and 2020 I won the, the, the Freedom 75. I won the Freedom 90 the year after I won both races, uh, or all the ovals in, in India next and in my second year. So I've had really good success on, on the ovals, had a good, had a okay. Decent 500 the first year. Um, so, so yeah, no, I was, I was confident and, and given the test that I had at, at St. Louis, I thought, yeah, this, this is not that much different. You know, I can, I can probably figure it out. Um, but yeah, then, uh, then, and, and I mean, always when you get handed the keys to a race car, you, you take them and run, you know? Um, so, and that was kind of the case, you know, ed, uh, I was sitting, uh, well, right, right over here, uh, when Ed called me one night and, and kind of talked through his, his thoughts and, and obviously we had the, the, the leader circle on the line. We were right on the brink after a, a very unlucky season, also part of, of a season where, for me, kind of making those rookie mistakes and a little bit of a, a, a wrecking ball at times that first year. But, um, which is kind of part of, of, of our first season, I feel like. But, um, but yeah, so yeah, getting handed the keys to that, uh, having his belief in me that he thought that I would, could do a good job with him, and then going out on the other side and, and doing an okay job with it and getting the leader circle money, which was the whole idea of, of doing it, um, was, uh, yeah, it was good. It was a good way to end the year. Um, also a good way to, to build into, to 2025, um, having some experience on the ovals before you go out for a, a full season.
Speaker 1: I just, I just wanna ask quick. I mean, when drivers come over from Europe, the ovals is always the big question. And I wonder if, because you came over so early, that was kind of the big advantage compared to say, a, you know, a Luard baby or, you know, a Rose request who didn't come over until much higher levels. 'cause I mean, you took to them. So naturally, those, those races at the end of last year were incredibly impressive. And then you go into ovals this year. Let me, uh, you know, but I'm just gonna let the people know, remind the people of your finishing results on ovals so far this year. Sixth, third, first podium of your career at Gateway, sixth, eighth, first in your first full season of IndyCar in the, the tougher, toughest, harder part to understand kind of racing that has been your record. Um, was it, does it just you first time you sat a car in an oval, you were just super comfortable and ready to go? Or did you feel like there was a bit of a, a buildup and a learning curve there? Yeah,
Speaker 4: I mean, there's always a learning curve, um, for sure. Um, but I had, I had pretty good people around me, uh, at the time working with, with Jay Howard, working with, uh, Louis Dino, who was my, my engineer at the time. Um, so had really good people around you, around me, which I think is a, is a big part of, of, of getting comfortable. Um, and, um, and getting to learn it all. But then I also think, I don't know, I think there's something natural that I just took to it pretty well. Um, I have I guess, little fear , uh, when it comes to, to driving race cars,
clearly Speaker 1: .
Speaker 4: So, which, uh, I, I don't know. I don't know if that, uh, plays a part for other drivers. It doesn't really for me. Um, so I guess that's part of it. Um, being willing to put yourself in certain situations that maybe other drivers wouldn't. Um, which I think re is getting rewarded quite well on, on a Noble.
Speaker 3: Alright, so let's, that's a, that's a perfect segue right into, into what happened a couple days ago. You know, there, James went through your, your record this year in terms of finishing order. You had your first podium in Gateway, had, you know, qualifying gone a bit better. And I think you still had some problems in that race in Pit Lane, like I think you caught on fire and there was some, some various things like Gateway very much could have been a win as well. Hmm. Um, but that was kind of, I think everyone's first glimpse of, of what you're capable of, especially on a short oval, right? Like, obviously everyone saw it at Indianapolis, but it's, it's a completely different approach and, and driving style. So Gateway happened. Iowa is a little bit difficult to say just 'cause it's, it's so difficult to, to race there, as the listeners on this podcast are very aware of. So then we go to Milwaukee where last year was a, was a, was a big struggle, um, for the organization. Um, obviously I, I can, I can talk to that knowing, sitting right next to you and, and knowing all of the things that you guys went through in 2024. So coming back in, in 2025, obviously the cars in, in a better place. Um, you qualified like 16 spots higher than you did the previous year, starting ninth. And what you did throughout the race was good, but it wasn't until the last restart where you really set yourself apart from every single other car. And I just want the listeners to hear about your mentality, because I can talk and I will talk on the Thursday episode. The broadcast has talked a lot about it. The media's talked a lot about it. The, the level of confidence that you had to, to kind of put the car in a window, that is really a not a guarantee that you're gonna come out the other side. Um, just because there was, there was a lot of risk that was being taken. But for you, that doesn't seem like it's the, the same level of risk that maybe some other drivers would associate with that. So walk us through those last 20 laps. You had fresh tires, there was two cars in front of you, um, that also had new tires, but then three cars in front of you who were unused, did you think at that restart? All right, this is my race to win. I've got, I've got it and I'm just gonna go do it. No,
Speaker 4: I didn't. I, uh, I again come with, uh, I think a very realistic approach to two things and, and kind of take it one step at a time. Um, not only ha did we have all the cars in the lead lab in front of us on, on that restart, but we also had a, a, a couple of cars that were let down. Um, so that, I think I, I don't know exactly, but I think I was 11th or 12th in line, um, of, of cars. Yeah. And it, it, it really started earlier than that, uh, before the race. Uh, Woody, my engineer and, and Pete, no, Woody, my strategist Pete, my engineer, we were talking about that. If this very specific scenario at the end happens with a late race caution, um, and we have an opportunity to go in and, and get new tires, we should take it. We were even talking about how big of a delta advantage you needed on tires for it to, to be worth it. It just happened to be perfectly timed and perfectly right on that delta that we were talking about. Um, and, um, and then we took it, got out on new tires, uh, from the, the couple stints before I knew I was pretty good even compared to other cars on new tires. Um, being able to, to, to run the high line and, and being able to pass people, uh, even other fast cars, um, which was obviously an a, an advantage. Um, so I knew I was sitting decent there for, for that last stint. I also knew that I was seventh in line and being able to pass that many cars, including not only pass that many cars, but also pass the, the front runners of that race, uh, was, was not gonna be easy, but took it a little bit at the time, um, passed. I think LGA was the first one. Uh, then Pato, he came back on me and then I got him back. So we had a a, a pretty good battle there. Couple overlaps, uh, got by, uh, got by you got by Lin Joseph, um, Joseph as well. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then at that point, Paolo had a little bit of an advantage. Like he had a, he had a couple second leave. You had to close down two second down two and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. Um, and then, you know, all, all of a sudden I was, I was sitting in second and I was like, huh, that's a pretty, pretty good day already. Um, and uh, yeah, that's just, uh, obviously had the tire advantage was, was chasing him down. Had had good, had really good pace compared to him. But I also didn't know, because we all know Alex, he takes very well care of his tires, uh, something there. So you don't really know how long of a, how long that tire bandage is gonna last for. Um, so I just thought I would get up to him and, and see, see what I had when I got there. Um, but also knew that if I did did get there, I probably need to get it done quick before that. Most of that tired bandage is, is gone. Um, got out to him, did the same move that I had done previous running the Highline. Uh, ran the high line out of turn two, got a good run. He went to defend the inside into three, rolled the outside side by side through three and four, um, with a little, uh, little L tab at the, at the exit of four. Uh, and then, um, and then rolled a lot of speed into turn one, uh, to clear him. And then, um, and then off we went.
Speaker 2: So one, congratulations. Yeah. Alex, you had a little love tap with Joseph there too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And we'll Speaker 2: Talk about it.
Speaker 1: Dude, I later, I was, yeah, I, I was more worried about, I forget who it was, some lap car you were going around on the exit of two was like four to go. Yeah. And I'm like, oh my God, you put a lot of faith in other people right
now. Speaker 4: . Yeah. So, so the thing is, like, again, talking about that tire range, I didn't know how long that was gonna last for. Uh, I didn't feel safe with having Alex below as the car behind me. Totally fair. Um, and I passed one car, which I think he followed as well. So he was still behind me. So I thought, okay, well then I gotta pass another one, . Um, which I did. And then I think that was Rosenquist, uh, got by him. And then I was like, well, one car, is that really enough to feel safe? No, , it's not.
Speaker 2: I think everybody, everybody in the broadcast became Wheeler at that point. Your spotter just like, Hey, you know, you could take it a little easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could . Speaker 4: Oh, and I think, I think most of that came from, I knew, I, I saw how quickly Alex got by that first car as well. So there was no guarantee that he wasn't just gonna do the same thing. So I got past one more car, which was Louie that put two cars behind, or between us, uh, I could see he wasn't really moving up. And then once I got up to Stingray, I thought that we're pretty, we're sitting pretty good here with four, four lefts to go or whatever it was. And yeah. Yeah, roll it to the finish.
Speaker 2: Great drive, man. Great drive. I know, I, I know your time is limited because you're going on a lot of other podcasts today. And one of my favorite things, 'cause I, uh, I texted James about this even during the race, the winner of the races goes on Speed Street with Connor Daley. And, uh, we love Connor here. Big front, front of the show. Probably our most, uh,
Speaker 1: Often frequent guests. Guests,
Speaker 2: Yeah. Frequent guests. That's the word I was looking for. Do you want to go into that? I mean, are, are there gonna be any fireworks with you talking to Connor? 'cause obviously you guys, uh, got into it a little bit in Portland. Yeah,
Speaker 4: I don't, I don't know. I don't think there's much to go into. Uh, we had, we had our thing at Portland. To me that's, that's a long time ago already. Um, we obviously didn't agree on the matter. Um, we talked things through, we met, it was very civil, uh, talked things through and yeah.
Speaker 1: But you left. Still not agreeing on the matter.
Speaker 4: Still not agreeing on the matter. And I think we probably never will , um, which is, which is fine. Uh, that's, that's part of racing. You always, you as a driver always think you are. Right. Uh, and I, that's talking for the both of us, so, so I get that. Um, but no, I'm, I'm sure it'll be fine. We're, we will meet, we'll talk, if it'll come up, it'll come up. I doubt it will, but I guess we'll see. I'm, I'll be listening. I, I, I had the, I had the, I had Connor, he was starting right in front of me, so I had him right behind me at, um, at the driver's intros, turned around, gave him knuckles, asked about his foot. We were all good. So yeah,
Speaker 3: Listen, it's, um, it was a big topic conversation. Um, a lot of opinions float around on the internet after that, that there was, the best thing that any anyone can do in that situation is go out and beat everyone the next race, um, doing the exact same thing that you were doing in Portland. And, and that's your style, and that's what you've become known for. So everyone I think is, is blown away. So keep doing what you're doing and, uh, we'll see you this weekend.
Speaker 1: This has been off track with Hinch and Rossi. Off Track is part of the Sirius XM Sports Podcast Network. If you enjoyed this episode and want to hear more, please give a five star rating and leave a review. Subscribe today, wherever you stream your podcasts. We are at Ask Off Track on Twitter and Instagram. And if you wanna follow us on Twitter, we're at Hinch Town and at Alexander Rossi. If you wanna follow them, though, we have no idea why you would. He's at the Tim Durham on Twitter. Find us on YouTube and subscribe to our channel for exclusive video content. Off Track is produced by Tim Durham, and by that we mean f.