Speaker 1: This is, is off track. Hello everybody and welcome to Off Track with Hinch and Rossi on a another rare Tuesday episode where both are here. And as I say that, Alex is currently not actually here. He's coming, he'll be here in a second. He's tending to some household Lee duties, uh, but very excited to have a special guest on the show today. Mr. Lockie Hughes is joining us. Welcome to the show, bud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me. I, um,
Speaker 1: I heard that James, I'm here. I well, I know I wasn't, I was, I was saying that you're here, you just weren't there, you know what I mean? Anyway. Mm-hmm . Um, lock. Yeah. Welcome to the show. Thanks for, uh, thanks for coming on. Um, we have a lot of, uh, IndyCar fans that, listen. We have a lot of fans that aren't necessarily racing fans, which is weird that listen, 'cause we talk about travel and soup a lot. Yeah. . Um, but for, for the fans, look, we, I think we can both agree Indy Next doesn't get quite as much attention as it probably deserves given the, the quality of racing and caliber driver. So for those that don't know Lhe Hughes, uh, talk, obviously not from around these parts, as we say, uh, in North America. So why don't you, uh, walk people through a little bit about your kind of racing journey, how you got into it, and ultimately what led you onto the, the road to Indy? Yeah,
Speaker 2: So I have, uh, you know, kind of a interesting racing background, I guess, you know, don't come from a racing family or anything like that. So kind of, um, fell into it somehow just, you know, driving rental cars as a kid, uh, on some holiday. So, um,
Speaker 1: So it wasn't like no one in your family raced anything, it was literally just you are at the Yeah. At the fair or whatever, jumped in a rental car and like, this is fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. Pretty much. Um, and yeah, probably, you know, worst decision my parents ever made . Um, so, uh, yeah, you know, after that just sounded my parents to get in something, anything with four wheels, uh, you know, started go-karting, mainly in Australia and raced in Europe. Uh, actually came over here to the States, uh, quite a bit as a kid as well. Um, and then, you know, made the, the step to cars, uh, in Australia. Um, what you started wanted to kind of, I started in F four. Yeah. So I started F four, had a scholarship, um, from Motorsport Australia to start racing back home. So, uh, that kind of, you know, kickstarted the, the, you know, car racing. Um, and, uh, yeah, always wanted to go to Europe, was trying to, you know, get the funds together. And then, uh, that little thing called, uh, COVID happened, uh, ah, so, uh, once that happened, that kind of, you know, that kind of put an end to my racing for a bit, you know, didn't race for two years, had to get a job. Um, so, uh, no
Speaker 1: Way. I don't think I knew that part, so, so what, what the job did you get? Yeah,
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was actually working for an older race team of mine. Um, selling, selling parts, packing boxes, um, was basically in their warehouse, you know, shipping off, um, you know, vortex parts, all these, you know, kind of, you know, parts for go-kart racing. Um, which, uh, you know, sucked probably, you know, some of the worst years of my life in a way. Uh, but was good because it kind of, you know, gave me a better, a better perspective of life. And, um, you know, when I came over here, when we got the budget together to get over here, it was kind of like, you know, every year was your last year. Um, but it kind of, you know, made, it made everything a bit more important, um, 'cause I'd seen the other side of, of life and I, I never want to go back to that, so, uh, . So, yeah, no, it's been a good journey over here, you know, came over, uh, did USF four with, uh, Jay Howard. He, I actually raced for him in carding as a kid, so it was kind of, he was always trying to get me to come over here. Okay. Um, yeah, ended up, yeah, getting the budget, winning the F four championship, uh, then, you know, did the road to Indie, uh, did U Ussf 2000 and, uh, pro 2000 won that championship. Um, and yeah, then this year in Indie Lights, or Indie Next, sorry. Um,
Speaker 1: It's okay. We call it Indy Lights on this show. , I just, I said next off the top, just to be politically correct, but I will now be referring you to, to it as indie.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes. Um, and yeah, no, it's been a, it was a great year with Reti. Uh, it was a big step up in terms of, you know, the car just a lot faster, a lot heavier, a lot, um, just, you know, a bigger car. So, uh, so yeah. Now, uh, ready for 2026.
Speaker 3: So walk us through, you know, obviously, um, coming, coming to this side of the Motorsport world in, in North America, was that a, a really big adjustment for you, or, or more of an adjustment than you thought it would be, um, when you first made that step and, and like, how long did it take you to really feel like you found your feet and were comfortable, you know, living in the states and, and being a part of that, you know, open wheel racing network and, and the road to Indy, um, that we so often talk about that, that seemed to have worked really well for you so far?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly felt really comfortable straight away. I think, uh, some of that was helped by the fact that, you know, racing go-karts over here, the Florida Winter tour and, um, you know, the super Nats in Vegas, um, you know, doing, doing all those races, you know, I, you know, in carting I raced against, you know, guys like, you know, David Lucas, um, and a few of the, you know, American guys. Um, so it, you know, it felt very, it felt, uh, you know, very easy adjusting over here in terms of that obviously, like the little stuff, like you watch American movies as a kid and shows and all that stuff. Yeah. So, um, some of the stuff was a bit different, um, than I saw on TV and stuff when it came to living here. Um, so, uh, yeah, but it, it felt very, very easy to adjust. It's just, uh, it's very different, like once you start living here, especially in the, the Midwest, um, you know, I'm not used to snow. I'm not used to , you know, some of the stuff that you guys get here. Um, but I, I honestly, I love it here now, you know, I, at first, you know, just even stuff like American sports took a while to get into. Now, you know, I'm rooting for the cults every Sunday. Of course,
Speaker 3: Of course. That sounds right on, man. James is the same, and he was only six hours north, so Yeah,
Speaker 1: I learned that lesson too. When you first moved here. Um, where, sorry, Lockie, where in Australia are you from?
Speaker 2: So Gold Coast service. Paradise, actually. Nice. So, um, beauty. Yeah, I, I wish, I think we need to push hard and get IndyCar back there.
Speaker 1: There was nobody in the paddock that would argue that point
Speaker 3: At James my come outta retirement if you make
Speaker 1: That happen. Yeah. It would absolutely come outta retirement just for that race. Yeah. Um, so, so that, that actually, that's an interesting point then. So you obviously went to that race as a kid. You saw the Indy cars racing at surfers when, when, you know, COVID ended and, you know, you said you did some carting in the States, but you did some carting in Europe, COVID ended, you got budget to go racing, you ended up back in the States. Why did you come US Route rather than Europe? Was, was F1 ever that kind of the dream or what kind of tipped you to come this way? Yeah,
Speaker 2: I mean, I think as a young bloke, you know, growing up you always have, you know, your, I think it's so hard not to look at Formula One, right? Um, and that's kind of what everyone dreams of. But I always, you know, watched Indica. I think some of that, you know, stems from, you know, having, you know, the race in, you know, essentially my backyard. And, um, also having guys like Willpower Ryan Briscoe over here. Um, so, you know, had, would hear a lot of stuff about IndyCar and I would tune in whenever I could, and the races were always really exciting. Um, so I always, I always loved it, just a big fan of racing in general. Um, but it's, uh, yeah, Europe's just, I wanted to, but, uh, I think the, you know, it was the road to indie and the prize money that really, you know, right. Sealed the deal to coming here because I knew if I get the results, you know, I could, uh, get here. So, uh, yeah, like I wouldn't be racing Indy next at the moment if it wasn't for the scholarship. Um, so, you know, no other, you know, racing series and Pathway in the World really offers that. So that was the most important decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's, um, we, we hear that time and time again, you know, about, about people, kids in Europe, right, trying to make that decision what they're gonna do. And, and so many of them are drawn to it, um, just as you said, because there is not anything else like it in the world. Um, let's talk a little bit about your year in Indie Lights this year. Um, first year you finished third in the championship, you had a couple wins, I think, um, yeah. So like, as a first year, that must have met and exceeded a lot of your expectations. Is that correct? Yeah,
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, kind of,
um, Speaker 1: , Such a driver, ,
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you know, I was in the, the fight for a while there, um, throughout the season and the second half I honestly thought were a very good chance there. Um, and the second half just kind of fell away a little bit. Uh, but, you know, if I could take, you know, top three going into the championship, uh, to begin with, I probably would've. Um, but, uh,
Speaker 1: I think you still, you still should,
Speaker 3: Like, that's, yes, it's not an easy championship, like that's a very good
Speaker 1: Result in the first year. It's very result . Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah. And just like you look back at, you know, some of the like, indie lights the last few years, you know, whether it was Leanness, Raz, um, Louis, you know, kind of everyone, you know, it's kind of become a two year program. Um, so, you know, unless you come from Europe with, you know, a a lot more experience or something, but coming from, you know, the road to indie, um, that's kind of how it's been. So, uh, yeah, no, a lot of positives to take from it. Um, a lot of highs, a couple lows, you know, as, as the season goes. Um, but no, learned a lot and, uh, you know, can build into a big 2026 program.
Speaker 1: You, you sort of alluded to it, I think there a bit, you know, year teammate Dennis Hagger, also a rookie in indie lights. Um, and it's, you know, obviously he went on to, to win the championship, but to say that he was coming in with the same level of experience as you would be, you know, doing you a huge disservice. So I, I think, you know, again, Alex, and I'll sit here and tell you objectively zooming out from not the guy behind the wheel, incredibly impressive performance. Um, yes. But, but like, let's, from, from the driver's seat, I mean, I think this is an interesting topic, right? I've had years, you know, in the junior categories and in the big series where I got absolutely waxed by my teammate. Yeah. And I'm not saying that's what happened to you. I'm not gonna, I, I'm not putting, I'm not, I'm putting this on me. This, I got wide either year where I had no wins. My teammate won five races in the championship, and it was one of the toughest, most frustrating years of my career. But it's also one where I learnt an awful lot. And I wonder if you kind of feel the same way that having, you know, a driver with Dennis's experience come in and, and instantly find that pace, but being able to learn off him. Do you kind of look back on 2025 now and, and now that the emotion of the season is done, you kind of think, actually, I, okay, here's what I can learn, here's what I can take away and make myself a better driver having had that experience?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. 100%. I mean, um, you know, I look, when I look at the bigger picture, I think it was actually, you know, quite important having him as a teammate because it's, you know, someone with a lot of, a lot of experience that you can learn from. Um, and you know, when you, when you go to indica, you only really have one, one chance, you know, so you can't, you don't wanna go, you know, um, yeah. With, you know, with not enough experience or something because you don't wanna
Speaker 3: Be, you don't wanna be under prepared for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes. You can be kicked out just as quickly as, you know, you had a chance to get, get there. So, um, no, looking back at the big, big picture, it was, uh, you know, quite important thing for me to, uh, be able to learn from him. And, uh, it's just gonna help me for next year. Um, I mean, it is, it is tough when you, you know, on the other side of it, 'cause it's like, ah, you know, it wasn't there, you know, maybe, you know, we would've, you know, won the thing. But, um, you know, it's kind of like, I think, you know, ba like Alex, you basically went from F two to IndyCar as well, apart from, you know, the few races in F1 and that season. So, um,
Speaker 3: No. Yeah. Yeah. I mean, that's, that's, uh, yeah, you bring up a great point and, and what James said, it's, it's an unfair comparison. Um, and I think it's okay for you to have that. Um, I, racing drivers are known and I'm, I'm one of them. James is one of them. Tim would like to be one of 'em, but racing drivers are known for making excuses. This isn't one of those excuses. Like, I think it's, it's very acceptable to be like, Hey, I came from USF 2000, whatever the hell it's called now, thousand one, a couple races, whatever, I'm coming back next year. Obviously, you know, Andretti Global, knowing those people at that organization, they don't have patience for a lot of things. So the fact that you're coming back for year number two, you are, you are announced as the IndyCar Reserve driver, um, and you are in an IndyCar as early as yesterday. I think is a testament to, to what you've accomplished. So walk us through a little bit, um, about kind of your IndyCar experience that you had. Um, did it meet expectations? Did it fall short in some way? And, and just overall, how was, how was the day for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can tell you, I feel like I've been hit by a bus right now. . I was gonna ask, how's the neck feeling today? Yeah. Oh, the neck, the neck's, the neck's quite sore. Um, , I don't know if you've ever seen that video of that guy going around the two seater F1 car, I think in Abu Dhabi. Yeah. And his, his head's still in that, that's how I felt at the end of the day. Um, but, uh, yeah, pretty like the, and that, just like the breaks were the biggest mind blowing thing I found. Um, it was, you know, unbelievable how quickly those things, those things stopped. Uh, I never, never driven with carbon breaks before. Um, so, you know, that was, that was definitely, you know, an eye opener. But the, you know, the top speed didn't feel too crazy compared to the next car. Um, I think some of that, unfortunately, it's not due to the Yeah. . Yeah. There's
Speaker 3: A reason for that. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I, I think the, uh, yeah, I think the windscreen kind of made it feel a bit weird 'cause you, your helmet wasn't trying to rip, rip off the whole time. Um, but just, and then just the weight of the thing is just, um, kind of, uh, you know, just not quite as enjoyable, just, uh, trying to get it to, you know, change direction and turn, um, that was a bit different. Um, yeah, it just, that sucks. It didn't, it didn't quite feel, you know, as lively as the next car, you know, like you can kind of hang that thing out a bit more and it just feels, it just like more comfortable, you know, sliding around and stuff. Just didn't really want to do that so much. So, uh, yeah, it was definitely, you know, different to drive, but it was, I mean, so cool. It was just, you know, driving IndyCar just insane. I, uh, yeah, it just, the first step for me was just not to stall it coming out the pits . And I didn't, I didn't, I didn't install it all day, so I was pretty happy with that. Um, but yeah,
Speaker 1: It, uh, it, it breaks my heart, man. Hearing you, hearing you describe the car like that, it really does. 'cause y young drivers coming up from next should
Speaker 3: Not, so you used should be so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You should not have that. You should say everything about, it was 10 per, like 10% better, 20 times better than I thought it was gonna be. This thing is awesome and it's just, and it used to feel like that. And it doesn't feel like that anymore. And it sucks and it sucked. I thought we were, I thought I was just old and jaded 'cause I'd been through it all. And having you say that first time in the car, it really breaks my heart for you, man. But, um, the good news is there's a new car coming in 2028, and you will most definitely, Alex, I'm just, I'm, I'm pinning my hopes of the fact that this thing will be lighter and more nimble and faster and cooler. Don't ruin this for me yet. No,
Speaker 3: No, no. I think, I think for sure a new car will be lighter, faster, and more nimble. I just don't believe 2028, but you know, oh
Speaker 1: God, I think no ,
Speaker 4: I saw, I saw something today that said when the current car debuted the iPhone four was new.
Speaker 2: Let's not Yeah. I, I started racing the year, this car, this, yeah.
Speaker 3: Lockey was probably like eight. This, yeah.
Speaker 1: This car has been racing as long as Locke has. Oh, no, that is, is not a good stat.
Speaker 2: Which, which is, which is, yeah, it's crazy. But like, that's why like, um, uh, like I didn't quite have like the steering position, steering wheel in the kind of position I needed, and I was used to, so yeah. You know, at the, at the end of the day, there I was, I was holding an on for dear life. Um,
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, here, here's something that, that, uh, will make you feel better. Indie GP is low key. One of the, the more physical tracks that, that's on the counter, like, it doesn't get credit. Everyone focuses on Arbor, Ohio, but like Indie G is is pretty hard. So it, it doesn't get much worse, um, than that for you. So I wouldn't stress too much about it. Um, walk us through a little bit, we don't have much time left, but Willpower has said some, some great things about you obviously both being from Australia and now in, in a way kind of pseudo teammates, right? You know? Yeah. Both being under the, the Andretti banner. Have you had a chance to talk to him? Has he, has he, what's the, the things that he's telling you, put his arm
Speaker 1: Around you, Speaker 3: He giving and, um, you know, he's obviously one of the best out there and and that's a good guy to have in your corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. No, I, uh, he actually called me this morning. Um, I didn't really get to chat to him long because he was on the way to the airport. I think he's racing here this weekend, actually. Uh, but, uh, yeah, no Will's been, Will's been amazing to, you know, to have in my corner just someone, you know, for advice and who's been there and done it the hard way, you know? And, um, yeah, kind of, you know, been through all the same feelings, you know, I've been through. So to have him, um, you know, is great and just, you know, having someone who understands, you know, just Australian culture and everything, the little stuff like that, um, you know, it's, it's, it's been great and can introduce me to people and, you know, all that sort of stuff. So it's gonna be great, especially next year, you know, to be under the same roof, uh, to be able to, you know, throw the headset on and be able to listen, um, you know, listen to how he talks to his engineer, have a look at, you know, some of how he drives a race car, you know? Yeah. So it's all, it's all stuff that's just gonna help, um, you know, my development and progression for the future.
Speaker 1: So, is, is that kind of part of the program, you know, being on the, the Andretti Lights team is you get to, you know, be part of as many of the sessions as you can outside of your duties, stand on the stand during the races, and kind of really start to absorb what it's like being, you know, in the main show? Yeah,
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure. I mean, I, uh, I think I stood, I came to some of the races that I wasn't racing at this year, like Long Beach and Toronto. I came and just wanted to, you know, be there and see it all and learn a bit more, uh, and ob and next year's gonna give me, you know, an even an even closer insight to all that kind of stuff. So, um, no, I'm excited now that I've driven the car as well. I have, you know, I understand what it's like to be in one of those things. So, um, yeah, it's gonna be, it's gonna be cool, um, and, you know, a lot to learn for the future. Very
Speaker 1: Cool, buddy. Very cool. Well look again, incredible season in Indie Next slash Lights, uh, for your rookie campaign back with Andretti for 26 Reserve Driver on the IndyCar program. He's been on the IndyCar in the IndyCar now on track. Uh, really looking forward to seeing what you can do next year, man. I think it's gonna be a really exciting year for you, and it's gonna be fun to watch. So, um, yeah, thanks for coming on and everybody keep, uh, keep your eye on Lockie Hughes in 26.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I appreciate it. Thanks for having ha have having me. Thanks,
Speaker 3: Bro. Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: This has been off track with Hinch and Rossi. Offtrack is part of the Sirius XM Sports Podcast Network. If you enjoyed this episode and wanna hear more, please give a five star rating and leave a review. Subscribe today, wherever you stream your podcasts. We are at Ask Offtrack on Twitter and Instagram. And if you wanna follow us on Twitter, we're at Hinch Town and at Alexander Rossi. If you wanna follow them, though, we have no idea why you would. He's at the Tim Durham on Twitter. Find us on YouTube and subscribe to our channel for exclusive video content. Off Track is produced by Tim Durham, and by that we mean fi.